Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Whats growing in your veggie patch ?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 9:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:49 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

PossumCorner wrote:
- but yes I know how politically incorrect even the thought is.

Stuff politically correct, it's mostly plastic behaviour anyway (ie not real, genuine, valuable)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:28 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Currently over run by pumkins and sweet potatoes, they are slowly smothering everything else, I still have kale and comfrey for our chooks, normal spuds in there(somewhere), 4 types of chilli, capsicum, cherry tomatoes, lots of herbs etc.

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1422923002467.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1422923002467.jpg [ 113.8 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:17 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

ooh, i forgot pumpkin & watermelons.

Sun beans are green beans, but a heritage variety. They are just starting to flower now.

Onto the blackberries, they are thornless domesticated otherwise they would have been drowned in Garlon. Not sure how many canes there are, double sided 3-4 metres. they are even more prolific than the Silvanberries and much more so than the raspberries. Although, the raspberries look like they are going to give a second crop.

Next growing season will be better planned. Most of the stuff I have grown didn't go in untile early December

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:09 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

regular blackberries, i love them!
Smallflock wrote:
PossumCorner wrote:
- but yes I know how politically incorrect even the thought is.

Stuff politically correct, it's mostly plastic behaviour anyway (ie not real, genuine, valuable)
i am with you guys; society seems intent on us all to becoming beige.

last Summer, whilst out on our evening bike ride; i discovered one road that had half a dozen blackberry bushes with big fruit on them. i stopped, checked for poison spatter and ate a few then introduced bloke to them. over the next few days & many blackberries, i introduced b1 & b2 to the delight of eating fruit off the side of the road. it is funny but each of them including bloke had the same reactions: you can't eat that, it might be poisoned, what will people say. all met with the same response: i ate them yesterday & your Dad did too, i check for poison spatter on leaves, if the leaves look freshly wet or any have a chemical smell. then back to, i ate them yesterday, try some.

the kids were so disappointed when they came to an end and were shortly thereafter poisoned, burned then dug out. it just goes to show that you or i may not care what others think but our actions can make beige or plastic people very uncomfortable . . . . . . . too bad, i found some other bushes on a different road.
:rofl:
i think plastic people is a great name for those that are happy for all their food to be presented to them securely wrapped in plastic, so they know it is clean.

like you PossumCorner we bought some thornless bushes but they have not grown much yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:31 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

grabby wrote:
...and ate a few then introduced bloke to them

:shoc Wow, I read that same story in Genesis, but I never knew the fruit was blackberries - they've always told me it was an apple! I have some fig leaves grabby, if you and bloke need them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:30 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i would love some fig leaves Smallflock, if you have a recipe to use them in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:10 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Tks you lot, needed a laugh.

Two years ago a blackberry popped up alongside a hazel nut whip I'd bought from a Dandenongs nursery. I let it keep going but we ran out of water, dug up the hazel-nuts to re-plant closer to the house for a bit of tlc, and left the blackberry behind. It was surviving well til I let the ponies out in the no-nuts-now paddock. And they et it. Must check to see if the roots survived to shoot again.

Grabby how go the blueberries: blueberry and blackberry with icecream sounds good. Another gardening question for you, what do alpacas like that can be grown for them? Treats I mean - these three have never been raised with the treat concept, I heard alpacas really like apple so it can be a useful training aid. Nope, apples are the work of the devil, they won't touch it. Took a week before they would touch alpaca or 'hobbyfarm' pellets, sheesh I thought the goats were fussy, these long-neck people give fussy-lessons. What can I try bribing them with that they might like? (And they are so lovely, can't imaging being without them around now).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:26 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I have one who has been banned from the backyard as he loves roses. The briar along the river never get a chance to seed because he eats all the hips. This boy (Nimbus - black Huacaya) and his partner in crime (Cirrus - white Suri) can get their noses thru the chain link and pick loganberries but the only thing they will accept from me is Alpaca mix or lucerne.

Blackberries marinated in Marsala - yumm !st had this in uni days, camping in the FJ and 2 man tent thru the Snowy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:06 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Roses: okay, we putting a few in soon so hope they will like David Austin prunings.

Serious question re Oleanders. I have about a dozen fairly small - flowering beautifully too at the moment - and the ponies are fine with them, leave them alone, always have. I'd like to let the alpacas access that paddock, but I'm concerned that they won't have the same built-in instinct to by pass Oleanders as the Shetlands. Fencing off that area is not an option as it would block access to the shade trees. Do alpacas have 'no idea' re what's not best for them, or are they normally fairly savvy about leaving alone what should be left untouched?

Of course only after generalisations here - no-one can make them sign on a dotted line, and individuals are just that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:07 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Possum, when I still had my alpacas I accidentally left the backyard gate open (twice! I don't learn) and the alpacas ate EVERYTHING except the almond tree and the fig trees (good thing too now that grabby&bloke need the leaves), but in total agreement with Sue55 - anything from the rose family would be highly acceptable. Oleanders ... I'd want to spray those with capsicum spray for a few days in case some taste-testing happens - just get a bottle of tobasco sauce and apply with a sprayer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:13 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I'd be very careful. One of my boys will also eat daffodils (flowers and leaves) given the chance. A friend's pigged out on apples, bloated and died. Alpacas are natural foragers so may not be sensibly selective. Carrots have been suggested as treats (doubt if my 2 have read that chapter either)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:40 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Took some photo's of my little patch.
Wicking bed with raspberry's
Snake beans and Angled lufa growing up an old trampoline frame
Corn in the back, Thai pink lady Toms, Egg plant, sweet potato.
Kangkong
Stir fry in the waiting, KangKong, lufa, snake beans and garlic chives
And what to do with an old cracked dunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:43 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Love it Bakes. Lots of my place is 'based around the bathroom 'too

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:08 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Sue my mum said I should find an old sink and set it up like a bathroom :laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:55 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I picked 300kg of apples from 6 trees today. Will take them to be pressed and the juice bottled on Monday. The trees didn't get pruned or the fruit thinned for this season so most fruit was smallish but trees were loaded. 3 of the trees have enormous apples. The previous owner told me that they were grafted from a seedling tree which appeared on his grandfather's farm.The one in the photo weighed 686g (2 years ago I picked one which weighed 740g)

Attachments:
P1030207.JPG
P1030207.JPG [ 174.62 KiB | Viewed 2694 times ]
P1030206.JPG
P1030206.JPG [ 170.31 KiB | Viewed 2694 times ]
P1030204.JPG
P1030204.JPG [ 161.86 KiB | Viewed 2694 times ]
P1030201.JPG
P1030201.JPG [ 169.43 KiB | Viewed 2694 times ]
P1030198.JPG
P1030198.JPG [ 160.63 KiB | Viewed 2694 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next