Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - First time eating our chooks.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:46 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

So we are going to get our excess roosters done. We were going to do it ourselves but between the nerves of actually doing it and me putting my neck out we have.....chickened out :P.
I have found that one of the local poultry factories will kill and dress them for me for $2.50 each and with 1 1/2 hr turn around!
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do before I take them? Also first meals suggestions would be great too thanks :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:04 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Good for you. I wish there was somewhere in Tas. I could take mine. I keep putting it off......
Are you guaranteed of getting your own birds back? I would ask them to leave the legs on and band them.

You need to starve the cockerels for a day before processing. Do give them water.

This recipe looks tasty.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1725/co ... e+oil+mash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:12 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Yeah I was going to get them to leave the feet on for the cats and since 1 has grey/black legs and another is smaller then I should be ok.
That recipe looks great and I could do it in the slow cooker by the looks :) thanks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Is there no where near you that does it Artemis? I would have preferred to do it ourselves but maybe next time. There is also someone at hubby's work that teaches people how to do it. I wouldn't mind doing that first.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:57 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

It depends on their age. If they're still quite young - 6-8 months - roast them, very plainly, no added flavours, just a little oil and salt on the skin. You want to get that first impact of the taste of real, full-flavoured, chicken.

Also, it means you can easily keep the roasted bones and turn them into chicken stock.

If they're older, slow-roasting as above is excellent. Again, keep the bones if at all possible.

One of my favourite chicken showcase meals, esp. with a prime rooster (ie 1-2 years old) is "risotto from first principles".

1. Put your defrosted rooster (it doesn't need to have been rested) into water flavoured with standard stock flavourings - herbs, carrot, onion, celery, peppercorns, whatever else you like, but no salt.

2. Bring to a rolling boil and let it boil for 5-10mins.

3. Drop the water temperature until it's barely simmering, and continue to poach very gently for a good couple of hours with an older rooster. Can also use a previously-made stock, which enhances the flavour.

4. The rooster is cooked when the flesh pulls away easily from the bones. Slightly undercooked is fine, as you'll be cooking the meat again.

5. Pull the rooster out of the water and let cool enough to handle. Strip the meat into a container and set aside. It can be frozen at this point for re-use if you want.

6. Put the bones back in the water. Add any chicken carcasses from previous meals you've been saving to make stock from. Top up the water.

7. Bring the water back to a rolling boil and then drop to a solid bubble. Let it go for a few hours. You're making the full stock this time. Skim off any froth that turns up.

8. While the stock is burbling away, start making risotto. Use onion and garlic, bacon if you like, as the starter; a good white wine if that's your go, but nothing else.

9. Use the stock you're making as the base for the risotto. You will, however, need to add salt to bring the stock to full flavour (unless you're using home-cured bacon, which will have all the salt you need).

10. Add your chicken meat at sporadic intervals. The longer the meat is in the risotto, the better the flavour, but you want some to go right at the end to be tender and juicy. Adding skin and dark meat early is excellent; add breast meat at the end.

11. When you're almost done, add some frozen peas if you like (I adore peas in risotto).

12. Add a good parmesan and finely-chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

13. When the stock is ready, let cool. Strain off the stock and feed all the cooked stuff (including bones) back to the chooks. Put stock into containers, label, and freeze.

I did this for my sister and despite her having watched the entire process, and knew every ingredient in the dish, she still wanted to know what made it taste so amazing. It's the chicken, of course, thrice-cooked - poached in stock, made into stock, and meat added to the risotto.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:12 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

That sounds fantastic!! Will have to make stock with one and roast the other 2. They are all around 3 months but have started crowing. The neighbors put up with one but I'm sure 4 is going to get annoying quickly :)
I love risotto too replace your peas with broad beans and I'm in heaven!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:25 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I was going to suggest broad beans but not a lot of people like them :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:43 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

marvin21st wrote:
Is there no where near you that does it Artemis?

I have a neighbour I could ask. I'm like you- I need to be shown how to do it. I have read many topics here and youtubed endlessly but i just keep putting it off. I'd really like to process them at home too, just to minimise the stress.
I've got 10 Australorp boys ready and a few chicks I'm not sure about yet. They were all out free ranging together today and they look so magnificent....sun baking, scratching in the orchard...bet they'll taste good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:50 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

infoaddict, The risotto sounds delicious. I have fresh Romano beans that will go with it nicely. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:16 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

This looks good. I was searching for Apple recipes. Might make a pie tonight....and found this- Cider roasted spatchcock with potatoes, apple, garlic and sage. mmm..yum.
I even have some of last years cider left, home grown garlic, French shallots and herbs to go with my spatchcocks.
http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/recipe-search/feature-recipe/2007/9/cider-roasted-spatchcock-with-potatoes,-apple,-garlic-and-sage/

Last edited by Cackles on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
url tag for external link

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:59 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

infoaddict wrote:
I was going to suggest broad beans but not a lot of people like them :)

Ain't that the truth. YUK.

Ron

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:50 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Hah. I love broadbeans :)

I just showed a friend how to process the 6 cockerels he got from eggs I provided him. Heaviest was 1.6kg - a good weight for mostly crossbreeds of 20 weeks. (Leghorn, Araucana, Australorp, Marans in the mix. The Australorp crosses were the heaviest, as you'd expect). He did very well. It's always hard to know how you'll react when it comes to killing an animal, and even harder when you've raised them, and the bravery in saying "Yes, I'll do this" is the hardest bit of all. Very proud of him for doing it.

Then I knocked off another 9 birds for our own eating. Basically the same crosses, but a couple of much younger birds for true spatchcock for the first time.