Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - The best way to prepare and cook duck

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:07 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I'm feeling inspired enough to go and knock of my surplus Aylesbury and Rouen males. They are about 5-6 months old so should be good.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:22 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi There "Andrew'sChook's"
I have way too many White Pekin drakes and am unable to sell them even as pet's.
Now for me to look at dressing them that is a challenge. :roll: ...

I really struggle with "The initial task" but once I am past that I console myself knowing that they have not had their life taken by the means of a machine.
It's brutal, it's wrong and I am sure other's may wish to debate with me on this topic so I won't get off thread...
As I said I have opted to brine them and then I thought MMM :dontknow I might put them into the smoke house but this morning it is blowing a gail and coming up really stormy so other tasks at hand....
When you roast or braise your birds do you quarter them, split them so they cook quicker or just do them whole, I am undecided as to which would result in tenderer meat :huh?
They are around 1.2 kg's so for me I would be thinking around 35 to 40 minutes whole then stand for a while, but they have no feet so that would be a bit awkward for them I guess :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:19 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I do them (& especially turkeys) whole, but tend to leave the cavity empty except for a bunch of herbs or something. I find they cook more evenly with a near empty cavity & no one in my house wants to eat stuffing anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:53 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks Andrew
I am a bit that way as well, sometimes the stuffing is just stodgy and distracts from the flavour, not a big fan of mixed herbs either....
Heather :th

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:47 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi Again
The duckies were done slowly and basted with the brandy, orange juice and extra butter and I have taken a pic of them coming out of the oven...
Looks divine, the younger duck was pretty good but not much on him and the older Mallard was as I suspected'
"Roasted and basted Soccer ball" :doh :doh

It will save a can of dog food and make great gum gum massagers for the oggie doggies... :rofl:
So when is a duck just too mature to bother dressing or is there a better way to prepare older drakes.....
Might just crock pot the next couple and try the Red Thai Curry, I have not tried duck in a curry but could be good...
LOOOOVE the darker meat on chookies and duckies....
I will send pics soon...
Heather

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:33 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Thai red duck curry is wonderful. Use a good red curry paste, or even better prepare it from scratch, make sure to put pineapple chunks in it. The combination with duck in a coconut based red curry is wonderful.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:55 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks "Andrew'sChooks"
I will google a recipe for it....
I am thinking that today is a good day (cold, rainy, and wood fire is going of course) to put a home grown rooster on the woodfire and slow cook a good home made soup... YUM :thumbs:
I have to say my home made curried chicken is dammned good and so is my soup....
We actually refer to it as "STEWP" as it is so thick and yummy you can stand your spoon up in it... :yess

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

andrewschooks wrote:
Thai red duck curry is wonderful. Use a good red curry paste, or even better prepare it from scratch, make sure to put pineapple chunks in it. The combination with duck in a coconut based red curry is wonderful.

Lychees are fabulous in a red curry duck also, similar idea to the pineapple, they add that burst of cool sweetness.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:59 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi There 'Thoseriches"
Sounds good to me....
As I said I had never tried duck in a curry...
Probably because untill we grew our own it was out of the question at $33.00 here at Woolies for a packet of two duck breasts :shoc and I have 3 people that are "Good on the chop" so to speak but cant afford them either at $23.00 a KG for loin chops.
I might start a thread on recipes etc on the most economical cuts and cost saving ideas....
I am sure we all have a budget I know we do, and things are going to get tighter in this country... :hiding

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:20 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yes forgot about lychees. They are great, but probably any kind of firm fruit with a good balance of sweet and sour would work great.