Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Turkeys as meat birds....

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:21 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey everyone,

Thought I would share our weekends adventure, our first batch of Turkey processing; chooks and ducks we have processed before, but turkeys this was new.

We were kindly gifted six approx. 7 mth old Turkey toms on Friday night, and we decided we would process the boys the next day.

Let me say I had under estimated the size of these turkeys, no idea what I was thinking, they were huge, and we had 6 to process. I woke up Saturday morning with a horrible feeling that we might spend all day processing turkeys, with the size of the bird and the amount of hot water we would need to heat up!

After some creative thinking for heating heaps of hot water (thanks to hubby), and finding a bucket big enough to fit a turkey in for dunking, we were set.

Happy to say that 1.5 hrs later we had processed 6 turkeys, and thankful that we had bought a bigger freezer, as these boys even after dressed were still large and heavy. It amazed me how quick we processed these guys!

In comparison to our experience of processing chooks and ducks, I would say that apart from the fact they weigh a tonne when dripping wet, they were far easier to pluck and dress than the chooks and ducks, with ducks being the most painful, ah all those feathers :aaah! The added bonus, these guys have beautiful feathers, so we kept the tail feathers which my daughter is going to do something crafty with them.

We currently have our own tom (Tom Jones) and hen (Tina Turner), which we hatched out at christmas and plan to grow out their male offspring eventually for the table, so looking forward to having a constant supply of turkey, yum :-D

Cheers

Helen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:28 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yup WAY easier to clean than chickens! The only difficult thing being getting a hot-water bucket bug enough to soak them in!!

Well done.