Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - growing things in/ on chook run.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:02 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

A few years ago I bought a bare root Black Mulberry tree. Well, you know those fertile Rhode Island Red eggs that you bought which hatched and grew up to be black and white striped birds ???????? well, my Mulberry tree had cherries :huh?
Today I bought another one (with Mulberry type leaves) The label says

"the high nutrient content of the foliage makes it a great fodder tree ------------------Ideal for chook pens."

Tomorrow I will be replacing the dead Melia in the duck run. Wonder what mulberries do to yolk colour?
Grows to 12m high 15 m wide so probably not for suburban back yards (maybe I'll eventually need to expand the duck run :treegrow :treegreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:46 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have a olive tree where I plan to put the chook run. It is only about 80cm tall at the moment. Do you think it will be alright? Or should I move it.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:35 am 
Great Game
Great Game

May be risky as olives are poisonous until you pick them , split them and then soak for a few days. Unsure if poisonous to birds or only people before treatment. Citrus is a better option, more shade for the chooks and citrUs love the chicken poo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:25 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I suspect that Olives are OK for chooks. They have gone feral in SA due to bird distribution. What ever you plant, it is essential to protect the roots from chook scratching.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 am 

I have already planted a plum tree in our chook run, with wire around it to stop them digging at the roots. I'm looking for suggestions on another fruit tree. Another stone fruit or something else? I see above some have planted citrus trees; aren't citrus no good for chooks?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:42 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

That apple crumble sounds like a good use of plenty of chokos to me, it sure is hard to keep up with them. Best I've come up with (apart from throwing them in stew/casseroles etc where they can soak up some flavour) is if if you put raw slivers of them in a salad, you can get through a fair bit without noticing. I mean, they're probably not the greatest flavoured vegetable in the world are they, but they're tough vines, and grow fast, so what can you do. Mycoola, about this choko mustard pickle, you'd better see if you can get the recipe off your Mum to share with us, :-D who doesn't like a good pickle?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:43 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

There are two Chinese pistachio in our chook run. The chooks nibble at the leaves and perch in the lower branches. Trees are deciduous, so shady in summer and let the sun in during winter.
If you are thinking about something edible: How about grapes? You would need to protect them until they got established, but they would climb higher than the chooks can reach pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:02 am 

Thanks, Okaru. I hadn't considered vines.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I run chickens in a vineyard and orchard with many different fruit trees. I get the same 2 frights every year:
The first one is when the youngsters turn up with blood all over their face (they have discovered the mulberries are ripe)
and the second when they all come with green and blue poo (the grapes start to ripen).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:04 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Same Globi, except the cockatoos get first pick (and last pick, and all the bits inbetween). One day we will get netting over it, til then the poultry have to be happy with some shade from the trees, snacks don't happen.

One covered pen has a nice fig tree, good crop ripening this year, so hope the Araucanas leave some for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I'm almost ready to move the ducks into the orchard - hopefully duck house and bath happening between now and Easter - he suggested something 'temporary' (so not happening).
There are so many windfalls this year (too busy constructing to manage the fruit). Either the ducks will get very drunk or they will get mouldy fruit poisoning.

I have successfully grown pumpkins from a big compost bin (brick pallets) up a fence and onto the chook house - provides great Summer shade