Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - growing things in/ on chook run.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:36 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

On my chook run fence, I have a passionfruit growing in one corner and in enougher two corners there are two choko vines. Inside the chook run there is 1orange, 1 lemon, 1 lemonade, 1 nashi pear and 1 pink lady apple trees. There is also 2 trees that were existing from before a coastal banksia and a weeping bottle brush. :thumbs: :laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:16 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Great work on the vine! And some nice shade there. I have an orange, mandarine, lime, fig and mullberry. Next I want to put an avocado in there, and yes please a passionfruit vine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:39 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Maybe rethink the Avocado they are apparently toxic to chooks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Damn,
Thanks. I was wondering about that and just hadn't got up to researching it yet.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:31 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Still picking Choko's , man what a bumper crop :nuts , they are growing so fast and big that I'm picking every weekend. I gave a whole foam veggie box full to my mum to make choko mustard pickles ,yum yum yum can't wait for a jar back. The other vine hasn't cropped as well I think it must be it's position.. the best one is still flowering and setting fruit but not long now before frost will hit them :-( . Been steaming, boiling and baking them absolutely yum , I don't know why some people won't eat them, thanks Mycoola.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:07 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

What is a Choko??? heard of them

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:38 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

It is a vine that grows green things you can eat. Some people love them. I don't mind them but I don't think they are great either! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I use to have citrus tree`s in my run and the grow beautifully in there.

Cheers Doug

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:45 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

mycoola wrote:
Still picking Choko's , man what a bumper crop :nuts , they are growing so fast and big that I'm picking every weekend. I gave a whole foam veggie box full to my mum to make choko mustard pickles ,yum yum yum can't wait for a jar back.

where do you get the vine or seed from to start with, mycoola?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:07 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Grabby, all you need is a large choko that's is getting a bit old and wait for it to sprout a shoot much like a potato but they only sprout from.one end , even younger ones can start sprouting. Put on window sill whilst it shoots, can pot out and leave on sill, don't let frost touch it or by by. When danger of frost over plant out near fence, they like full sun in a moist spot or water well, prefer rich loam, on chicken runs ideal just protect when young so chooks don't dig it up and eat it and the leaves. They come in green and white fruit , the green one is the best. Makes awsome mustard pickles to put on steak or lamb chops.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:21 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Attachment:
1465805879547635184519.jpg
1465805879547635184519.jpg [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 4928 times ]
Late pick of chokos, :mrgreen:, gave some away already :biggrin: . I wish i lived in a warmer climate without frost as i think they would crop all year :nuts .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

mycoola,

I haven't seen a choko in over 30 years, I can remember my mum serving them up with the Sunday baked leg of lamb, she would peel, slice and part boil them, put them in a pyrex dish with sliced onion and cover in a cheese sauce and put them in the oven, must say though they have very no discript taste from memory.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:44 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yes you can get a few years out of a choko vine in warmer areas. There's also a much rarer white version that you can substitute for pear in sweet recipes. The green or white taste pretty much the same as I recall. They are great for a chicken pen because they thrive on fertile soil.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:45 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

They have a mild taste, but we love them, peeled, cut in quarter's lenght wise then baked on the bottom , same as for carrots so they get candied , even boiled then a little butter and salt when served is still nice, choko pie for desert can be good too, but you haven't lived until you have tried my mothers choko mustard pickles on lamb chops :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:17 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Best apple crumble you will eat is made with one green apple grated skin on & 4 apple sized chokos peeled & grated seed in.
Add some brown sugar to taste along with a handful of sultanas & a good sprinkle of cinnamon & a few cloves.
Microwave on high for a few minutes to cook fruit & steam off some of the excess liquid. Give the cooked fruit a good mix to combine all the flavours.
Cover with your favorite crumble mix & bake til golden.
You can also use this same recipe as the filling in a pie although you may have to thicken it a little or steam off most of the juice.

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein