Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Wow, harder than I thought.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:45 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I certainly didnt mean to imply that you should not kill non layers, just that i choopse not to. And i am aware it is not always possible or practical.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:23 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

No offence taken if that was directed at me Nelly :-)
I would prefer not to as they were my first big girls that I got from this site. As I'm dithering about it, I obviously can't do it, so they are free to live another day. :whist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

not directed at anyone, anked. Just felt concerned some people might have thought i was saying you were cruel if you killed older hens. I don't think that at all.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:11 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I have too many damn chooks and can't actually TELL who's laying or not. :)

I also have a lot of space and am happy to let superannuated hens burble around producing compost.

Surplus rooster, however, are dinners.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

we seem to be all-rounders with sick birds we are fine to put them down.
Excess roosters that cant be sold go for the chop but not by us. My friends look at me funny when I say processed but that what happens.
But old girls and roosters that have done a good lot of laying or producing for us go to the retirement pen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:55 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

lovemygirls wrote:
I wouldn't dream of getting rid of any old girls. I pray they live forever regardless of whether I get any eggs or not. Theyre a part of my family, eggs are just a bonus. If I run out of room I just get another coop :-D
In fact I'm considering getting hormone implants for 2 of my Isa Browns so they can STOP laying. They are really special I want to give them a chance to reach retirement.
I have over 50 chickens now. I love my girls. Getting rid of them is unthinkable. :shock:

I agree. I couldn't imagine doing it as I see mine as family and friends and helpful little gardeners to rid my garden of pests and eat my excess food scraps. I enjoy watching them in my yard and ive their individual personalities and quirks and love buying seeds to grow plants they love and seeing their excitement when I bring it to their coop. I also love seeing them run up to me and follow me around like the pied piper looking for a treat..I see them as quite intelligent and social animals and not much different from some pet birds. I hope they live happy long lives and enjoy them.

That's not to say, although I would find it unimaginable to end one of their individual lives, that it isn't a kinder and more sustainable option to eat your own flock and use them for food. It also helps to reduce your food miles and you know exactly where your food has come from and how it was treated (:
70%cocoa wrote:
I let them retire gracefully. I have several ladies (of the webbed feet variety and the chook variety) that no longer lay. The chooks can still dig and create garden compost and that's a valuable contribution. My oldest chook is 8 and oldest duck about 8 or 9.

anked wrote:
I have 2 girls that are way past laying. (About 6yo) small space, to many chooks etc
Been debating on whether to get rid of them. Finally get the guts to do it (Hubby to do it!)
Get one off the perch, and then can't do it !! :shock:
Didn't think it would be that hard :aaah!
Hubby might have to do it when I'm not here.
Does anyone else get rid of their old girls or do they live out their retirement..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

70%cocoa wrote:
It is not heartless. They still had a good life that beats the pants off any chook in any commercial operation, no matter how 'free range', 'organic' or 'green'.

Yes and as been highlighted lately, they don't live up to their industry claims all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Levrette wrote:
I think of my girls as my garden helpers. They help me make compost and eat my weeds! So they'll stick around even when they stop laying (they actually haven't even started laying yet, but they're so darn helpful in the garden that I don't really care).

I'm lucky enough not to have any council restriction on numbers though.

There might be some people around like me, who want garden helpers rather than egg machines. If you don't have space to keep them, and can't bear to process them, perhaps you could sell them/give them to someone who doesn't mind that they're not laying anymore.

I agree! Mine are the same..fantastic in the garden, ridding it of weeds and pests like slugs and grubs. They also produce free dynamic lifter haha. Except sometimes they try their chances with the lettuce and silverbeet when they think I am not looking ;) Not often though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:34 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

rotten_66 wrote:
I am a heartless swine.
I don't view the chooks/rabbits as "family or pets", they are a means of producing food for my family, whether that be as eggs, soup, curry or a roast.
Ron

It's reality., I wouldn't do the deed unless I had a family to feed and that was meant to be dinner, but I do eat chicken, so it's a matter of reality and integrity. We eat chicken, end of story. But I do like to think that I help my own chickens to live good lives. But reality is that the way I like to eat out and the way that I shop equates to a great deal of cruelty to animals because the country where I live is capitalist.
anked wrote:
I have 2 girls that are way past laying.
Does anyone else get rid of their old girls or do they live out their retirement..

I teach mine to drive. No, seriously, I mean they have nothing else to do, do they ?
Quote:
I think I will have to build them a retirement wing.

life begins at retirement !!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:44 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

infoaddict wrote:
I have too many damn chooks and can't actually TELL who's laying or not. :)

The answer is a set of trap nests, they look like this and you can work out precisely who is laying what.