Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Icecream

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Icecream
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:40 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I bought one of these

http://kitchenaid.com.au/products/ice-c ... attachment

And have made a couple of batches of ice cream based on this recipe

http://kitchenaid.com.au/blog/homestyle ... -ice-cream

I use 16 of my bantam eggs as they weigh about 30g so it's a good recipe to use a lot of eggs. I have down loaded some ebooks with ice cream recipes and basically modified this recipe to make a peanut brittle version and then a mint and choc chip version- it's a great way to use eggs and make some yummy ice cream

Post subject: Re: Icecream
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:25 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks for the recipe Trillain. You can't beat homemade ice cream. A lot of the commercial brands are so airy and over sweet. (although Connoisseur Belgian Chocolate is very good)
I 'll have to wait 'til Summer tho, Cold frosty morning here. Even the chooks water bowls had iced over.
Last time I made ice cream it was Honey Ice cream - do try this...so good!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:18 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Mmm that looks great. I will give it a go. I LURVE icecream!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:05 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

it is so hot today; i keep thinking about ice cream.
i found one called blueberry cheesecake, it is good.

has anyone been making their own?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:34 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes I have! I have developed Lactose intolerance recently so have been making pseudo icecream using coconut milk. It is so yummy!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:44 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yes I make it for the kids in a kitchenaid. It's easy. 1 can condensed milk 600 ml thickened cream 4 dessert spoons of sugar and a dessert spoon of vanilla essence.

For chocolate I change to brown sugar and add 5 dessert spoons of cocoa.

For green tea I use the vanilla recipe but add 2 dessert spoons green tea powder.

For strawberry use the condensed milk and cream and add six dessert spoons of strawberry jam.

( I did start making it with egg custard but it takes too long and the base recipe I use now super quick)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:53 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

NellyG wrote:
Yes I have! I have developed Lactose intolerance recently so have been making pseudo icecream using coconut milk. It is so yummy!

NellyG the following is about asking people to be careful with their consumption of coconut foods.

I have recently been very ill & after a huge battery of tests it turns out I have a blocked renal artery amongst other things artery & blood pressure related.
Because I also had several blood tests to determine many things, one thing that was common was that I had raw fat floating in my freshly taken blood.
Since I eat a very healthy diet mainly grazing through my organic garden, we were puzzled as to why it was so in the blood tests.
So dietician & I sat down & went through all I eat. Everything was good until I got to the coconut oil, milk & cream that I changed to about 20mths ago in response to developing a bit of a spare tyre around my middle & my need to shed a few kilos.
Well it has back fired spectacularly by blocking my arteries & doubling my blood pressure in just a few months.
So if you are not a super fit, hugely active, manic exerciser, please be careful with your use of coconut foods. They are good but only for people who can burn then off within a few minutes of eating those foods.
It turns out the main problem I had was that I replaced Peters normal icecream which I ate a couple scoops of with fruit 2-3times weekly with fake ice cream made with cc cream, honey & chia seed. It turns out cc cream has twice as much saturated fat as the dairy icecream.
Because I didn't burn it off straight away (being consumed after my evening meal) it then floated around in my blood overnight until being laid down in arteries.
My HGL was ok & my LGL was excellent but the fat was still there.
Make of this what you will but many people are changing to cc foods thinking they are doing a good thing for themselves just as I also thought.
So I am completely off all cc foods until a new round of blood tests in late January prior to yet more tests to decide if I need artery intervention. I'm hoping that simply removing cc foods from my diet will be enough to strip those deposits out of my arteries & restore my BP & health.

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:20 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Conventional wisdom is that highly saturated fat like coconut and palm are very bad for cholesterol.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:16 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yeah well I don't eat buckets of icecream! And I don't drink coconut milk or use coconut oil, so doubt if will be too bad. I simply can't take the dairy foods so have to substitute something. Soy milk is fine but i dont like soy icecream at all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:30 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Moderation is the key! You could make a custard with zymil cream and eggs to use as your ice cream base. Or if you wanted a simpler version, just use straight cream and double the sugar content, or use some glucose (which is a sugar anyway). The sugar needs to be high enough so that the cream stays a bit plastic in texture. Too low sugar and it will freeze solid even after being through an ice cream maker.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:38 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I've never heard of zymil cream. Off to google it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:44 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Ahh I just googled it. I can't use it as they use lactase to get it lactose free and I can't handle lactase either. Not sure if it is the actual lactase or a side ingredient but it makes me sicker than lactose. So I can't handle any lactose free dairy product that uses lactase.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:18 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

try my homemade banana icecream..................it tastes just like smooth creamy vanilla icecream

freeze whole bananas

when they are solid, peel them

roughly chop them into bits about 2 inches long

pop them into a blender

you can add honey, fruit, (not appro for you but also yoghurt)

be careful not ot add too much, experimenting will give you the correct proportions

lightly blend.

the aim is to smooth the banana to an icecream texgture, but not to a smoothie texture

if necessary pop back in freezer to firm up a bit

serve like it is vanilla icecream

it is so delicious and dairy free if you don't use yoghurt!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:27 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Ohh sounds lovely! Will try it :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:30 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I really like sorbet too. I use 2/3 mango & 1/3 banana.
Having my own mango trees means I have best fruit & second grade fruit. Best fruit is sold to recoup cost of running organic & second grade fruit is eaten fresh or frozen as pulp in take away containers.
Each time I start a new T/A container I get it out of the freezer, turn it onto my cutting board & using my huge chef knife I cut the whole block cross ways into 5 portions & replace in the container & back into freezer.
I also peel & freezer in more T/A cont's banana halves.
After dinner I get 1 section of mango block & 1 half a banana & bung in the blender for several seconds.
Sometimes I add a few mint leaves.
Double YUMmmmm!

re the coconut foods, I have never over indulged in them, but to only consume the same calories as in dairy foods one can only eat half the amount. Now that I know I realise I should just stay with dairy & eat mango sorbet for icecream which I really like anyway.

I think you might be able to use well cooked/steamed sticky rice as a non dairy base added to bananas for a really creamy texture once frozen & put through blender. Maybe add a couple eggs & refreeze for a while after processing. Honey, real vanilla, pandan, citrus rind & berries are all very good flavourings that will settle well into rice & banana.

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein