Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Processed my first chickens

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:07 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Having used the pithing method now I will keep doing so. It is quick and easy once you have done the first one.

I used the through the beak method which is simple if the bird is in a killing cone but I am sure Azira's variation is just as good.
By the time I have finished processing a batch of cockerels I usually have had enough but next time I will do some dissection to see the exact layout in the bird's head because my main concern was as to whether the placement was accurate.

I can't say whether pithing does in fact loosen the feathers as is claimed because I machine pluck but it is hard to understand how any brain function can control the bird's grip on its feathers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:02 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

That might have been the problem I had fuscipes, I haven't made a kill cone yet so my birds were just hanging by their feet. I need to make one before the next round of processing, I think it will make things much easier. And make my drum plucker, I'm slowly collecting parts for it!

I am actually going to save a couple of the heads next time, freeze them and then slice them in half with a bandsaw or similar. I think it will be helpful to get a clear cross-section of the brain position.

Apparently there are tiny muscles at the base of every feather, which makes sense when you consider how they can fluff up their feathers at will. The rear of the brain apparently controls these muscles, so a correctly positioned pith instantaneously damages that part of the brain and relaxes the muscles, releasing/loosening the feathers. An incorrect pith towards the front of the brain has the opposite effect and the brain contracts the muscles and in turn holds onto the feathers tighter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:40 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Azira wrote:
I am actually going to save a couple of the heads next time, freeze them and then slice them in half with a bandsaw or similar. I think it will be helpful to get a clear cross-section of the brain position.

That's a good idea. The dog has polished off all the heads from the last batch so next time...I will be in the shed, hacksaw in hand and frozen chook head in the vice.