Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chia & Pigeon Pea for shade & protection

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:19 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I did plant the pigeon pea on purpose but never expected it to grow so tall.
But the chai was an accidental germination after feeding cluckles a handful of seeds from other much smaller plants in my garden.
However when the 2 varieties got in competition with each other & considering the amount of fertilizer they are getting in the pen, it is no wonder they have grown so tall.
In this photo they are a bit over 2m on 6Mar'16 but yesterday I noticed all plants were around 2.5m tall now.
The chia is growing around the north facing sunny corner of the shed so it has been a good thing since I am now keeping chuckies locked in until much later in the afternoon so the shed can get quite hot around midday-early arvo.
I first started growing chai after buying a handful of organic seed at a health food shop. I now have it everywhere. So it is easy to grow.
I purchased a packet of pigeon pea seed ages ago & have never had to buy it again since. Since I usually prefer open pollinated or organic seed foods, they will never be GM or hybrid so they will always hold true to form when saving & regrowing from seed.
I am keenly awaiting the seed heads of the chia which should begin appearing any time soon. I think they will surprise me with their size & volume of seed. The chooks like chia so am hoping it will supply a good amount of their daily protein needs.
The plants will be ready to tear down around the time winter arrives so that corner of the shed will be a nice sunny place again that will keep cluckles warm during the day.
The only problem will be that I will not be able to control the food source which will also be available to rodents as they will start pilfering the seed before the heads are completely dry & ready for chuckies.
I will experiment with cutting the stems & hanging upside down to help dry faster but not sure where I can do that where it will be free of rodent attack.

Attachment:
chia & pigeon pea2.jpg
chia & pigeon pea2.jpg [ 990.58 KiB | Viewed 1322 times ]

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:20 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Lovely! The pigeon peas should live for a few years if you leave it go. Until about 30 years ago they were small trees. The dwarfish ones are a relatively recent breeding effort.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:33 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

andrewschooks wrote:
Lovely! The pigeon peas should live for a few years if you leave it go. Until about 30 years ago they were small trees. The dwarfish ones are a relatively recent breeding effort.

Oh that's very interesting Andrew. I know pigeon pea lasts a few years & these are already 1yr old. I have just started selective pruning them for mulch. I wonder if these open pollinated seed will be bushes or trees.
I've had a nice little crop off the 6 bushes I have growing & would get more if the king parrots would leave them alone!

Behind the pigeon pea bush is a mulberry which is also feeling competitive. Behind those large plants there is also a compost heap with a huge tomato bush & pumpkin vine so everything gets a heap of rich food. I pile the compost heap up & the chooks work it over for me, then I add some more to it & they turn it a few more times. Then it is ready for use.

In under all those plants in the photo are some leafy herbs & kankong & just out of shot to the right some huge tree lettuce.
I also have mung beans ready to put in for them & me too.

All designed as food for cluckles.

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein