Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Cluckles love corn silks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cluckles love corn silks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:37 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Well mine do anyway!

I have always eaten the corn silk fresh from all the cobs I grew.
It is a fine source of natural antibiotic when consumed straight from the fresh picked organic cob.
I pull the husk back a bit, loosen & pull out the tuft of silk & eat, then refit the husk leaves back over the cob for storage & cooking.

So I was munching my way through the silks of 6 cobs when cluckles appeared & proceeded to jump up at the cob I had in my hand.
I thought it must have been the cob they were after but when I put it down to their level they jostled each other for the silks. So I begrudgingly scattered that tuft of silk onto the ground where upon they dove over & under each other to get every last morsel of it.

I wonder if maybe they were self medicating? How would they know about the qualities of corn silk?
But then again, how does any animal know what to eat to self medicate? :shrgg

They never fail to amaze me with their food preferences.

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:10 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

ClissaTSoyFreeChooks wrote:
.... How would they know about the qualities of corn silk?
But then again, how does any animal know what to eat to self medicate? .....

If only birds/animals were more instinctively aware also of what is bad for them. Sheep/cattle on Patterson's curse, local cattle here eat wheel cactus (not p/pear, different), alpacas nibble oleander and die, dogs adore chocolate and onion - both can be fatal. I don't altogether trust their opinions on what is good for them - especially now in the drought anything soft/green is appealing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:34 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Yes I agree with that PC, I too have had animals eat the wrong thing. Red lantana & bracken fern have been high on my hit list.

I think when they find the wrong thing it is because it has a similar scent or electrical registration or salty taste for example to that which they instinctively crave. I am mostly referring to horses which are not native to this continent so plants will be similar but different.

I was just very intrigued by cluckles going bananas over corn silk, of all things.

going through the process of getting organic certification for my property but horse & chook worming throwing a big spanner in the works

Favourite saying: Madness is doing the same thing over & over, but expecting a different result! -Einstein