Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Plants in and around chicken coop

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:56 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi all,

Total novice chook owner here!!

There is a diosma ( Coleonema pulchellum) in the coop, is this toxic to chooks?

I had also planned to grow jasmine up, over the roof but google tells me this is toxic. Can anyone confirm this for me? If it is toxic, what would be a good climber (non toxic) to grow in Canberra? It’s ok if it is an annual, the poor loves will need some shade in summer.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:57 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi there and welcome. I don't know about diosma, sorry. Jasmine is toxic. How about grapes?
They grow quickly. You just need to protect them until the stems are big enough to tough out chook beaks. Lomandra longifolia is edible to chooks but they dont tend to eat it. (well, mine dont) and it grows into big clumps that provide interest and protection.
Another thing you could try on the outside is hops, as in what gets put into beer..... This dies down to ground level each winter but grows quickly up walls. Let us kow what you decide!!! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 am 

We have a commercial blackberry growing over our coup, the chooks love it when the berries fall into the coup and often squabble over them. Commercial blackberries don't have thorns and also don't spread the fruit is a bit hit and miss sometimes extremely tart but it was there when we moved in 12 months ago and I'm not sure the previous owner did much to look after it will see what the fruit is like next year if it's no good it will come out and we'll plant something else.