Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What to grow and when

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to grow and when
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:18 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi!
As had been mentioned previously, there are not many decent gardening forums around that are active, but there is a wealth of knowledge right here!
My garden is still going OK. I decided to take off the shade cloth in the cooler weather which turned out to be a mistake and I lost a lot of seedlings but many are still growing well. I will fill in the gaps with more seeds after these few hot days.
I've hunted around for what to grow when charts for Adelaide but they conflict heavily.
I generally purchase seeds from Diggers and the packets even conflict heavily with their monthly "seeds to plant now" list. Such as suggesting to plant beans now even though the packet says to sow in spring for example. Which really makes me question my trust in their suggestions! Or to rockmellons in February but that means harvesting close to winter which doesn't sound right either!
Are there any reliable resources out there that anyone here uses? Or maybe we could begin to collate a chart for major areas around Australia?
I have another bed prepped for sowing in March, vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, snow peas and the all year veggies like spring onions, carrots, lettuce, beetroot, Asian greens, etc.

I'm tempted to start some seeds of broccoli and a couple of other autumn sow vegetables indoors now where it is cool and plant out in March but not sure if I'm jumping the gun
So much to learn! You read a book and they make it sound so easy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:07 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Gardenate seems good to me, you can put in your area/zone and get emails on what to plant, when. And there is also an app I believe. I think Yates has a guide too, but I haven't gotten around to looking properly.

I'm about to start some broccoli and other brassicas for planting out in a month or so's time. I always get them in far too late, so this time I'm going to start them early/on time and get some decent growth. Personally I think it's better to start seedlings earlier rather than later, you can always hold off planting if the temp isn't quite right and all they'll do is have a bit more growth on them when you plant them out. You cant force growth or stop them going to seed if you left it too late to start them and plant them out.

Good luck with your gardening adventures.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:18 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Ugh! It's so hot here that nothing much is happening in my vege patch. The tomatoes are struggling, Asparagus is doing ok but it's not that productive. Cavollo Nero is not growing but not fading, so it should come good again once the weather cools. Perennial leek is sulking in the heat too.

About the only things doing well are snake beans, choko, honeydew and watermelon. We're predicted to stay ridiculously hot until well into march, so I'm holding off doing much till there's a change in the weather or it starts raining reliably. Then I'll start rocket, some brassicas and subdivide the leeks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:19 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

We have a local gardening group - Canberra Organic Gardeners (COGS) I'm not a member but do rely on their planting guides. Maybe there is something similar local to your area.
I'm hoping for my first successful passionfruit this year. I have a vine growing on the tank and it survived our severe frosts and -7'C this winter. There are 51 green fruit on it but will they ripen?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:59 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Nice one! Passion fruit is delicious and I will definitely be planting one this year! Good luck with it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Some trees arrived yesterday for the orchard! Very exciting.
We have 2 leaches, 1 navel orange, 1 mandarin, 2 pink lady apples, 1 granny Smith and 2 figs so far. Bananas, avocados, lemon, apricot and nectarine to come.
We also received 2 passionfruit and another free asparagus crowns plus winter vegetable seeds.
Very exciting!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:40 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Interesting choices, are you in afrost free area for the Bananas and Avocado. Whilst the Apples need a cold winter to do best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:34 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey! Yes, frost free. Whilst not ideal conditions for banana or apple they are cold tolerant bananas and apples grafted to root stock suitable for our area. The bananas are only $10 a pop and supposedly fast growing so it can't hurt to have a crack!