Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Behaviour at shows

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Behaviour at shows
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:02 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Recently I showed for a special award. I have a rare breed. There is only one exhibitor competing against me. I showed both days last weekend. The first day I won champion and reserve champion of my breed. The next day same birds against each other and other exhibitor is stewarding the section our birds are in and I only get reserve of breed, only to hear that something made up not in the standard for the breed was called as a in fault in my birds. The judge said as much too. The judge didn't consider all the other attributes of the breed, rather focused on a made up "fault" which is actually only 5% of the standard.

I don't understand why this would happen especially when not in the Australian standard at all. After lots of digging around there is a vague reference to something similiar in the British breed standard.

My concerns are several fold
1) I was given no credit from the judge, the other exhibitor and others about knowing the standard, even though I have been breeding the breed for almost 10 years
2) The unsporting way people go about trying to win without merit
3) I have a rare breed and exposure of the breed and good examples need to be viewed not focus on somethning that is insignificant
4) We live in Australia not Britain. Our standards are developed from theirs and the US (it's not mentioned ther either) but this is waht we are judges against
5) It was a delibrate ploy to cast doubt on better examples of the breed to try an ensure they eliminate competitoion in future and add a penalty for something that is not mentioned as a fault at all.

I have written a letter addressing my concerns

Keen on your thoughts