Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - DoeS everyone who shows wash their birds?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:18 pm 
but drover what breeds do you have?

there is nothing like lavender wool mix to wash your lavender birds in....one wanders what judges think...?

:lol:

k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:39 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Quote:
but drover what breeds do you have?

Oxfords only

"The wheels still turning, but the hamsters dead"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:30 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Silkies get the full treatment. Belgians also. coloured ducks get hosed, white ducks get the purple shampoo.

Everything goes through a mite and lice rinse to be sure.

hardfeather get the mite rinse, then a leg and foot scrub and a bit of oil of legs and comb.

Day of the show hardfeather gets a polish with a satin or silk cloth.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:34 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Little tiggermum wrote:
yep, most people wash at least once before a show. and it is a full immersion except for the head. The trick is to dry them as much as possible straight away, and keep them in a draught free and clean place to fully dry out. Andy used to stick them in front of the fire and close the door so the room was dark. This used to dry the feathers naturally, so minimised any feather curl. This was at night or on wet days...or you could use the hairdryer and dry the feathers until damp, and then stick the birds in individual pens out in the sun to finish drying off. The important thing is to keep the birds warm while thy're drying.

I thought I might share my production line. 1 REALLY IMPORTANT THING, wash them at least 3 or 4 days before the show, that way they preen their feathers using their oils at the base of the tail designed for that, to preen their feathers. That way not only do they have an amazing shine but all those scraggly feathers look brand new.
I had 11 birds to wash for the first time - for me and them! Perhaps a little over ambitious! But I got my routine down pat. :rooll Like Little tiggermum, Full immersion, making sure THEY don't stick their heads in the water! It happens. I watched You Tube like crazy and got heaps of tips. I used a shampoo dissolved in the water for the wash tub, the sink, full of water but could use the tap if needed as rinse tub and 3rd tub had a small amount of glycerine, vinegar and a little water soluble Lavender oil ( that was for relaxation effect; for me and them! Also does help a little with the clean). NEVER scrub or rub feathers ( don't know about feathered legs), I found the most effective was the dunking up and down, with wings extended. Pouring the water over them didn't work as well. It got the gentle wash through the feathers, rinsed them really well and got the finishing rinse through them thoroughly. I then wrapped them in a towel with their legs sticking out, so I could clean the under the feet, ( I held them under my arm over the sink), then took off the towel and rewrapped with dry part of towel, turned them around so they were facing the other way under my arm, so I could do the tops of their feet. Then I wrapped them over the top over the current towel but this time wrapping the legs under them as well, and propped them on top of the cage. They loved that bit, they fully relaxed and nodded off! Now because I had so many, I set up a 'drying cage'! I had a hair dryer at one end up above and on an angle aimed down at the cage/s and a fan heater at the other end. They got in that cage and went straight to the heat of the hair dryer and stuck their faces in it! They had room to move away if they got too hot.
I kept them in overnight as it was dark and cold by the time I was finished and I still had some nails to do and all combs/faces. I kept the heater on low overnight, as they were still damp underneath and it gets down to about 2 degrees C inside at night. Finished them off in the morning and popped them in their nice clean pens about lunchtime. It was well worth the effort, the difference was staggering- and very satisfying! :yess :biggrin:
Attachment:
File comment: carefully aimed hair dryer!
reduced pixels.jpg
reduced pixels.jpg [ 643.33 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Drying cage, wash and final rinse tubs, sink hidden !
drying cage reduced pixels.jpg
drying cage reduced pixels.jpg [ 668.15 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: snug as a bug
all wrapped up reduced pixels.jpg
all wrapped up reduced pixels.jpg [ 454.56 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: 071 after
P1010029 (2).JPG
P1010029 (2).JPG [ 304.57 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: 071 BEFORE (stuffed up naming file)
immediately after wash- reduced pixels.jpg
immediately after wash- reduced pixels.jpg [ 493.9 KiB | Viewed 543 times ]