Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Preparation for Shows

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preparation for Shows
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:34 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have had bantam Frizzles for about 4 years and got more into the breeding side last year. Last year I entered a few in our local Poultry Shows and this year I plan to do the same. The Poultry and Agricultural Shows will be held here in July/August. Being relatively new to this side of poultry, I am wondering if there is anything special I should be doing in the lead up to these events....special diets, etc. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Helen :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:50 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I used to know an old lady who fed her chickens tunafish just before shows! LOL... umm... when i show i dont do anything accept wash my silkies > havnt shown my houdans yet!

With white silkies i put some bleach into the water to make them extra white... not sure if you are meant to do this with other breeds though! Very different feathers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:53 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I'd say the best place to go would be any poultry club. Or else we can get Andy to update his article a bit :D. Pen training would be important in my mind. Getting some show cages and teaching them how to pose themselves and look good to any onlookers. Basically this is achieved by spoiling them with titbits and looking at them, and sticking your hand in to pat them, and push their head up to look like the picture from the Standards. Very intensive stuff and very serious ( make sure you tell your hubby that :D) Washing them before the show is also a good idea...but do it at least three days before as washing makes the feathers loose and the birds fluffy. ( I think the frizzle still has to be relatively tight feathered ) And I would steer away from chemicals that you wouldn't use yourself on your own hair. And let the feathers dry in the sun... or as naturally as possible. We used to stick the birds in a dark room in front of the fire at night so they would perch and stay clean.

The day of the show: clean the legs of any poo and stuff... and then brighten up the comb and legs using oil ( we use baby oil) just enough to bring out the colour of the comb and wattles. and clean out any poo you can before judging starts. Most judges make a point of handling all the birds and its not nice to get it all over you.

Hth
Myrna