Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Standards for Australian Langshan

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:41 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Is it me or does anyone else have a problem with the standards for the Australian Langshan. The problems i have are with the leg colour, the three Vs which is the comb, the legs and backline/tail. I have found when you try and get the black legs in langshans you tend to loose the pink white the standards ask for. the other is it states the tail should be carried at an angle upto 35 degrees. now, that means the tail can be carried flat or upto 35 degrees. a langshan is known for its three Vs, now to get the V in the backline/tail it would have to be carried at an angle of not less then 45 degrees. another is it says its ok for cocks and hens to have blue slate but not cockerels or pullets, isnt that a double standard for the breed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:30 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Chinese langshans became a big hit in the show scenes in Victoria about 15 years ago. Big classes, lots of breeders, and lots of competition, meant they were nearly always in the major awards at club shows. The birds didn't seem to have any trouble with having pink soles, even when I visited peoples yards around this time. Personally, I saw it as a characteristic of the breed, and would be sad to see it taken out of the text. I see very few langshans at shows nowdays. I guess when a breed reaches its peak of achievment, it doesnt have anywhere to go but backwards, as other breeds come in the headlight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:18 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Andy wrote "I see very few langshans at shows nowdays. I guess when a breed reaches its peak of achievment, it doesnt have anywhere to go but backwards, as other breeds come in the headlight."

Just goes to show regional differences. At most shows I go to (Central West - Central Coast NSW) Langshans classes are often the largest at the show - eg there were 30 Black Langshan bantam pullets at the Central Coast Club show at Wyong this year. Langshans still feature very prominantly up here among the major awards.

Back to the oroginal topic - I'm not sure that there is a problem with the Aust. Langshan standard. I'm certainly no authority on Langshans (I'd be interested in hearing the views of someone like David Plant on this) but I consider that:

1. You can still get a V with a tail carriage of 35 degrees. In no way does the wording of the standard suggest a flat tail carriage. Have a look at photos of the birds that are taking out major awards and you will see the correct back line and tail carriage.

2. The soles of the feet can still be pink-white on black legged birds, as far as I can see it's a matter of breeding - select birds that have red between the scales and the soles pretty much look after themselves.

3. Older fowls, regardless of breed, will generally have weaker leg colour than young birds. In Langshans this equates to cocks and hens having blue-slate legs. A young bird with black legs will generally have paler legs later in life. Note that it is a fault for young birds to have this paler leg colour.

Cheers

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

HI
can some one put a photo of an Chinese langshans bantam pullet and rooster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:53 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

big rooster wrote:
HI

ImageImage
Photos courtesy Daniel Lawton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

big rooster wrote:
HI

They are now known as Australian Langhans 8)