Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Leg / Eye Colours of Different Breeds of Fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:50 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

In recent times there has been discussion about leg colour and eye colour in different breeds and varieties. For those that are new to the hobby they may not know what a willow coloured leg looks like or the proper mottling of the legs on an ancona, what a pearl eye looks like in an indian game or the eye colours allowed for malay game. The standards do a good job of telling us what colour the legs should be but it may help if people actually knew what the colour looks like. If you have a bird that has the required leg colour or eye colour for that breed please post a pic of it here, along with what the leg / eye colour is and what breed and variety it is as well. Later on i or someone else could start a topic about feather patterns.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:55 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I thought this was a good idea but I guess no one else thinks it is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:23 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi Daniel,

I will do Plymouth Rocks, I just havent got any hens/pullets looking good enough for an example photo, i also like your idea for feather patterns, i will do barring for this thread also, a bit busy today but i will do legs and beak and eye of rocks for you.

I think this is a great idea, also i think it should be emphasised that the weighting(points)of these areas in the standard, sometimes people focus on the little things too much and forget the overall picutre/type of the bird also.

Cheers

Christian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:02 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Daniel, I think this is a great idea and I wish someone had done it when I was starting out! So many mistakes could have been prevented.

You all know that I have Barnevelders. I try to breed to standard, but my birds are in no way perfect. These are some example that I have of my Barnevelder's legs, eyes and beaks.

The Standard states " Beak yellow with dark point (in the Silver, horn). Eyes orange. Comb, face wattles and ear-lobes red. Legs and feet yellow."

I get a bit of a variation in beak colour with some all yellow. I try to be brutal with the leg colour and not compromise to much and I am very lucky to have blues with very good leg colour. The eye colour I have had to work on as there are many yellow and green eyes out there in Barnevelders. I, personally, try to think of a bit more of a red, bay colour rather than orange, but that is just me.

Here are some examples of my birds:

And then when you put it all together:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:27 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Thats exactly what I am after coops, thanks for that. i will get soem for my breeds as soon as the weatehr fines up. I know when pics of the leg colour of a langshan is put on here it will cause some discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:28 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Last edited by Andrew Whiteside on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:59 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

great idea dan should work well

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:27 pm 
sorry i only just read this. i can certainly put up some good examples of leg and eye colours of breeds. i will do so soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:44 pm 
indian game. bright yellow legs. and daw or pearl eye. there are also many other names given to this colour eye by game people.:

the chickens do not start with pearl eyes. you can expect them to slowly fade from about half grown from usually orange to pearl. some people accept orange eye in indians, i do not as i strive to maintain it as is part of the character of the bird.i shall try and get a better photo of the eye sometimnes as i am not happy with any of my photos in the gallery.

sebright:

blue legs and a dark brown eye:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:35 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

[quote="coopslave"]
The Standard states " Beak yellow with dark point (in the Silver, horn).

I know this thread is about leg/eye colour, but since you have mentioned a horn coloured beak.......would you have a pic. please?

I understand this should the be the correct colour of the beak in white australorps......and I really don't know what colour it is (sorry for the naivety)

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:54 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Oh this is a fab idea
I hope more people come along and join the party.

I started a thread on combs and wanted to see the goodthe bad and the ugly
but it turned into a breeding debate instead..

always good to look at photos rather than read a written desciption,and most people love looking at photos dont we..

what a great CLEAR photo of that seabright,,so cute i saw my first one at the camden show and thought how cute they were LOL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Interesting comment regarding brown or hazel coloured eyes. I have found that if I put a Langshan in with anything other than a black eye, the judges penalise the bird. The standard says brown or hazel, not black.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:10 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

The Eye Colour that gets me is Daw how would a new exhibitor know what daw is

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:23 am 
for geoff who has a problem with eye colour names. the eye colour of the indian is supposed to be pearl or daw (same thing) in colour. some gold or red streaks may run through it but this is the colour the eye is supposed to be. seeing a picture of it gives no false impressions of what it might be. i hear not many birds get around down sothern ways with this colour eye anymore. these are my birds that are in my yard at the moment:

these should leave no doubt to what they eye colour of the indian is.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:28 pm 
in aussie game the eyes should be pearl, yellow or daw:

except in the blacks where they can have black eyes.

legs to be willow or olive:

but blacks can have black legs and piles and whites should have yellow legs.