Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Online Exhibition Poultry Education?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:20 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

A post I made today on our Exhibition Facebook Group. I will duplicate it here.

Online Exhibition Poultry Education? This is something that I have been thinking about for a few months. In recent times, the FCAQ have been working on and finally releasing their new Judging & Stewarding Guidelines publication. The next step or consideration is an online component or option. We gave great thought to how we could better support our remote candidates who are too far away to get to workshops or even attend a higher number of shows due to their distant locations. Our numeric requirements were adjusted with this in mind. Another consideration is online education. I work in curriculum writing and resourcing so am in a position to set this up, although it would be a lot of work. The FCAQ has agreed to proceed with an online course or service and I already have a moodle site online waiting for course construction. A couple of people have expressed interest in contributing content or supporting this. At this point, I am wondering if we should think nationally instead of confine it to Qld. Either way works for us. We could limit it to an FCAQ base, or alternatively we could make a national course with extra components for individual State requirements. That's only worth persuing, of course, if other States are interested. While I recognise that there is no replacement for hands-on experience, this could be a useful supplement and way to cater for both remote students and our gen-y's, mill-gens and other digital natives through online information, mentoring and accreditation. I can't see the older generation going for it, but we are always looking for ways to support and bring young people into exhibition poultry. Comments?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:37 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

well it helps reduce the reinvention of the wheel. I too was a curriculum development person lol.

sing out if I can lend a hand :)
cheers
caladenia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:19 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I am always surprised by some of our more elderly poultry enthusiast on the forum who also post photos in the gallery, could be quite a few take it on from all ages. It sounds like a good idea, the hard part will be getting it off the ground, but I think the timing is right judging by the amount of activity on the internet. There is nothing stopping you from doing it Australia wide and would make it more inclusive :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:54 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I think it's a brilliant idea. Even more so as it can reach people that normally don't have the chance to attend workshops personally.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

The next FCAQ meeting is 12 October. I will look for approval for a working group or sub-committee to be set up to support this.

Any comments, get them to me before then.

If anybody has information or materials related to judging and stewarding that they think could be useful, I'd would love to get a copy of them. We have a number of slideshows used at workshop and we have our judging and stewarding guidelines. We will need to add other items or create items from them.

If anybody is interested in joining the project, also please let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:55 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

If you were to organise something online, I'd reckon a nation-wide option would be wonderful

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:01 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Very good idea and it's what's desperately needed. And if nationwide isn't possible then Queensland is the next best option.