Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Helping Juniors with Exhibition Poultry

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

JuniorExhibitor2010 wrote:
I think this is a great idea daniel, I am a junior myself and I know how hard it is to be considered a 'good' breeder/shower. Juniors are limited to what they can have and where they can keep chooks. We would really appreciate something like this to be done for us. We love showing and we would love to have good enough poultry to be considered one of the 'big boys' in the poultry exhibition industry.

Ta, Neil x :catch:

Agreed!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I am also a junior myself, i am not sure if this is the wright place to post this but could anyone help me with sultans, malays and yokohamas :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:12 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

any encouragement to those starting out in the chook world, of whatever age,, is great. I think the idea of a junior forum, or some indicator that the contributor is a junior, is great as people will perhaps be a little more tolerant/helpful in their responses.

i just have a few backyard chooks, and am amazed and delighted how many of my chidlren's friends are interested in taking a look and asking a few questions about them. anything to get people interested in nature, or even just how things work - like where does the egg come from and why isn't there a chick in there?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:19 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I too am a junior exhibitor... The idea of a juniors thread sounds great! Just wondering if there are any Langshan bantam specific tips to pass on? :biggrin:

Dev.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:58 am 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Its always a good idea to help Juniors, but I am not sure starting with the highest quality birds is always the best idea in the long run. The flip side of the coin is that juniors that do poorly initially usually makes them strive more to succeed, and seek out what is required to do so. There is nothing like that feeling of seeing top breeders walking up to receive well deserved awards and thinking "that could be me in a few years if I dedicate myself and learn the tricks of the trade on how to breed better birds". Sure, giving a Junior top quality birds, and saying "here kid, go win some prizes" will give them some instant gratification. But I have seen so many Juniors starting with top quality birds, take out all the prizes, and give up never to be seen ever again. Sort of like starting a race at the finishing line doesn't make people appreciate the journey. There is nothing wrong with starting with culls if they don't have any faults, and come from a well bred line. Personally what I would love to see happen here in Australia is something similar to the 4H program in America.