Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - First time showing Indian Game (photos), Preparation?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:29 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

First show ever is on Saturday (nothing like leaving things to the last minute) :bolt: Wish me luck, I am quite nervous, I'm not real confident doing new things.
I am taking 1 pair of Saxony ducks and 1 pair of Blue Swedish as well as 3 bantam Indian Game, a cockerel and 2 pullets.

Well as far as I have gotten is choosing which birds to show and putting rough show pens together for the indians, the pullets I have in the same pen (which probably isn't ideal as they will be in the show in their own pens) and the cockerel is seperate. Was quite hard to decide on which to take but would like to see what is said about the ones I have chosen.
Don't quite know what to do now :hmmm: , I suppose I should think about washing, legs, heads (never really washed a chook before). Even though I probably should have done all this already. Any suggestions?

Do you think they really need a full wash or can I get away with spot cleaning any visible dirt on feathers and just do they legs, feet, combs, faces and such
Thankyou
Kylie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:06 pm 
kylie the best training is the first show. water them but do not feed them when you pen them up the morning of the show as you do not want their guts sticking out. i give them a little bread or grain just to settle them and then some more after judging. give them water and ensure you have cleaned out the water dish first. if the water dish is not attached to the side of the cage then take the water away after they have had a drink.

clean those legs. use an old soft toothbrush and lots of soap. wipe the bar of soap along the scales of the legs in the oppposite direction of the scales to force some soap up under the scales, soft bar of soap is best. using plenty of water and froth scrub the soap out with the toothbrush. on the cock bird his scales will be easier to get under. any dirt you are unable to remove use a tooth pick carefully and lift it out. flick off old scales. if the scales do not want to move do not force them.

with the cock bird get a wet soapy cotten bud and get into the grooves of his comb and get the old skin and dirt out. make sure his ears are clean, sometimes they can get a bit waxy.

get yourself a silk cloth and before putting the birds into the show pen gently wipe the birds from head to tail to put their feathers neatly into place, especially flights and tail.

don't forget to put a little bit of oil on the legs and face, wipe off excess.

when handling the birds in the training pen try and get them to standstill with your hand under their 'chin' and tail down. it takes a bit of work to get them to do this but a couple of days before is a start.

good luck. i will be preparing indians tonight too. most of mine have been to shows except i don't think i have shown the hen before. i try to give all of them a turn. most of this lot of birds i would like to sell at the show and not bring home, 2 have someone waiting for them already as the buyer is buying 11 bantam indians off me all up. he will most likely take the large hen as he wanted another one after he bought some the other day and i was not ready to sell so many birds at once.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:44 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thankyou so much ruff, your help is very much appreciated, more than you realise :thanks:
I have just read through a couple of topics trying to find info on washing, and am about to start. I have a variety of brushes (including an old electric toothbrush) to try and see which works best, I'll try the bar of soap trick.

Where do you get a silk cloth from? Never needed one before and haven't noticed where you can get them from.
Any particular oil? And is that only on the day of penning, no need to do it beforehand?

Good luck with your preparations and show, hope you sell all the birds you want to. Sounds like they are the types of buyers you need, 11 at once, that is great. You'll have none left :lol: Now how many did you buy the other day? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:44 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

One done, went quite well, legs look pretty good. Still a pullet and the cockerel to go, he is a bit wild so might be interesting, and the pullet is not as quiet as the one I have already done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:58 pm 
i se a silk scarf one of my kids gave me. you can also pick them up as reminant pices in material throw out piles. even something silk from st vinnies.

the silk gives a sheen to the feathers and helps put the feather back into place if it has been hard treated.

check the rear end of the older birds as they cannot reach them and scaley skin builds up arouind the vent. soapy water and the same toothbrush helps clean this up. check to make sure these vent feathers are clean too.

some people use butter, some use 'secret preparations'. i use a cosmetic organic stuff i was given once and i do not use cosmetics. don't use olive oil as it causes the skin on the face to peel a week or so later. you just need the tiniest bit to give the legs and face a nice glow.

indians are the easiest birds to prepare for show and i think the most rewarding. nothing like the shiney plumage, red face and bright yellow legs.

i stand my birds on the bathroom sink on top of a cloth to stop them slipping. by the time i am finished they know who is boss. after a number of shows they sit down on me which makes it difficult and back breaking with the large fowl.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:34 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Will keep an eye out for something silk from the op shop.
Well I have butter :lol: I'll have to have a look and see what else I have that might be suitable, cosmetics are in very short supply around here also :wink:
I've done the second pullet, I think I did better on the second ones legs, I used the toothpick, worked very well. I actually thought the darkness in the legs and feet was just the colour of the scales, didn't realise it was dirt :roll:

Just the cockerel to go now.
Haven't started the ducks but I am thinking they will pretty much do themselves if I am lucky :yipee:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

i like your pullet on the right very nice legs , hope you do well with her.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:28 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Shows the difference between washed and unwashed :shock: Thanks for the tips ruff, the toothpick worked well.
Cockerel was very well behaved, he slept the whole time :D
Training crew :thumbs:
I didn't actually get a shot of my indian games at the show :roll: , so these will have to do. I had the only cockerel or cock there so he got first, I was hoping there would be some others there so I could compare them side by side, but wasn't to be.
And the girls, the one on the right got champion Indian Game ( :hmmm: not quite sure if this includes the large aswell, of which there were 3 all dark). In bantams there were my 3 dark indians as well as a blue a jubilee and I think 3 more darks. Unfortunately I missed the judging due to attending to children, who were great but I just slipped out at the wrong time and it was done by the time I came back :aaargh:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:38 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Well done Booth they looked fantastic so when is the next show.I Have a few in next few weeks that need a wash think I will send them to you :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:48 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

first time showing and a champion well done. i would like to think your cock would have done alright even with other birds there, they do not have to give him a ribbon if they dont think hes good enough, it shows hes worth showing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:12 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Well done, if you want the practice you can come down to SA and clean my RIR bantams for the Adelaide Royal :biggrin: :thumbs: