Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Opinions on Hamburg pullet?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:58 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I've never really thought of entering any of my birds in shows but I recently bought a gold spangled Hamburg pullet that I think is just lovely. She has quite a good temperment, but I have no idea what to look for in show birds let alone her breed. The only thing I think I know is the black bleeding in her tail feathers is not right, but I have no idea how bad it is or how any of her other features would go in a show. I don't know her exact age (she's not laying yet) but even if she isn't good to show I'd really consider using her to start breeding. So any info on the pros and cons of how she looks and breed standards would be fantastic. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:13 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

If you haven't shown before then contact your local poultry club and have a chat. Someone will help you get started. How good your hamburg is probably doesn't matter a lot to begin with. If it's close enough to be called a Hamburgh you can enter it and learn a fair bit from doing so.

For breed standards you need a copy of the relevant portion from the Australian Poultry Standards. Interpretation of the standard is something that comes with experience and finding a breeder through your local poultry club that is breeding them is a great help with this.

Hamburghs have a varied origin. The spangled varieties were bred in Britain on Yorkshire and Lancashire where they were originally known as Dutch Everyday Layers. Black Pheasants were also known long ago in England but the modern Black Hamburgh owes a good deal to Spanish and Minorca blood. Layers of small, beautifully shaped white eggs, Hamburgh fowls and bantams are known as an exacting exhibition breed for the dedicated enthusiast.

Male Characteristics

Carriage: Alert, bold and graceful.
Type: Body: moderately long, compact, fairly wide and flat at the shoulders. Breast: well rounded. Wings: large and neatly tucked. Tail: long and sweeping, carried well up (but avoiding 'squirrel' carriage,) the sickles broad and the secondaries plentiful.
Head: fine.
Comb: rose, medium size, firmly set, square fronted, gradually tapering to a long, finely ended spike for leader) which is in a straight line with the surface and without any downward tendency. The top of the comb is level (free from hollows) and covered with small and smooth coral-like points of even height.
Eyes: bold and full.
Beak: short and well curved.
Face: smooth and free from stubby hairs.
Earlobes: smooth, round and flat (not concave or hollow).
Wattles: smooth, round and of fine texture.
Neck: Medium length, covered with full and long feathers, which hang well over the shoulders.
Legs and feet: Leg: of medium length. Thighs: slender. Shanks: fine and round, free of feathers. Toes: four, straight, slender and well spread.

Female Characteristics

The general characters are similar to those of the male, allowing for the natural sexual differences.

The relevant portion of the standard related to colour - Gold spangled

Male:
Plumage: ground and undercolour rich bright bay or mahogany. All markings, striping, spangling, tipping and tail rich green-black.
Hackles and back: each feather striped with black down the centre.
Wing bows: dagger-shaped tips at end of each feather.
Wing bars: two rows of large spangles, running parallel across each wing with a gentle curve, each bar distinct and separate.
Secondaries: tipped with large round spangles, forming the 'steppings'. Breast and underparts: each feather tipped with a round spot or spangle, small near the throat, increasing in size towards the thighs but never so large as to overlap.

Female:
Plumage: ground colour and spangling are similar to those of the male.
Hackle, wing bars and 'steppings': as in the male.
Tail coverts: black with a sharp lacing or edging of gold on each feather.
Remainder: each feather tipped with a spangle, as round as possible, and never so large as to overlap, the spangling commencing high up the throat.
Undercolour: slate with some gold dusting.

Page 81, Australian Poultry Standards, 2nd edition, Victorian Poultry Fanciers Association Limited trading as Poultry Stud Breeders and Exhibitors Victoria, 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:27 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Gold Spangled Hamburgs are not common so like most she has some issues but she would would be fine to show. She may also be a little small but most are. I would not worry too much - rather have a go you will learn a lot about the breed.