Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How often does a waterfowl take out Grand Champ?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:53 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It happened at the Canberra National so the duck lovers have to be happy with that.

This picture shows a time in history when the duck people had to wait 100 years for a Grand Champion Bird at the Brisbane Royal.

That's a long wait. :-D

Another thing to note is that there were 3,600 entries. How would that compare to Royals today?

Source: on display at the Feather Clubs Association of Qld Aviculture and Pigeon Museum at Caboolture Historic Village. http://www.qldpoultry.com.au/fcaq_museum_8.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:23 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

And a pretty nice duck it is too.

Ducks and geese represent a much smaller proportion of total exhibits than do chickens. But their representation in the top awards is even smaller, proportionally. They are underrepresented and I don't think its because they aren't good enough. Maybe waterfowl societies and breeders need to do more to help judges learn about waterfowl?

It certainly was fantastic to see an exception to this at the Nationals last year :-D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:55 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Ivan (the owner & breeder of the duck) was a wonderful waterfowl man. He bred a number of different breeds including some wonderful coloured Indian Runners, his trouts were something to behold, as well as his Khakis.
Ivan left us a few years ago now, but will always be remembered for this win and the wonderful waterfowl he kept & bred at his Park Ridge home.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

that is a wonderful piece of history and one that I was unaware of, thankyou for sharing that. I am sure many waterfowl breeders were unaware of that achievement.

"The day you say you know it all is the day you will learn nothing at all"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:18 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Very interersting. I am determined to visit this museum when next in the area! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:11 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Well a Khaki Campbell Duck of Keith Reimers won Toowoomba Royal Show Last year (and well deserved).

A duck also won at the 2012 Poultry Nationals Last year to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My wife Angela won Grand Champion Bird of show at the 1979 Brisbane Royal - 10 years after Ivan Patava - with a Rouen duck (also winning 1st 2nd & 3rd in each of the four classes). Cannot remember exactly how many entries there were but I think more than the 1969 show. After her amazing win the decision was made not to include waterfowl in the judging of Grand Champion of show, so it is never likely to happen again at the Brisbane Royal. Waterfowl entries in those days were far more than they have been in recent years, which is a real shame. She was also responsible for organising the first wholly waterfowl show in Australia that same year at Caboolture attracting more than 400 entries. I would like to point out that the judging panel was led by Mr Bill Duckworth who was an Internationally recognized judge of ducks. He informed me that the Australian waterfowl were as good as anything that he had seen overseas and was amazed that the standard of Rouens at the Ekka were equivalent to the ones he had judged at the Rhode Island poultry show where he had judged recently. Angelas ribbons AIR are in the Poultry museum at the Cabòolture Historical Village. I met Ivan Patava on couple of occasions and found him to be a very nice person.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Welcome broomy. What a lovely first post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:59 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Welcome to the forum, Broomy :) Your wife's achievement is something to be extremely proud of. Few ever achieve such a result, and with a duck it's even more impressive. What a shame that waterfowl were excluded from the Grand Champ category after that.

Do you still keep ducks?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi there Broomy, and welcome. Anyone that wins at a Royal has achieved a major milestone in my books. Well done!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:09 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Actually in Victoria quiet often :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:49 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

Certainly win their fair share in Tassie. Plenty of top quality rouens, indian runners and pekins.