Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Professional Ethics for Poultry Judges

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:51 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It seems to me that professional ethics for poultry judges are very important. We hold our judges up to a high standard, not only with regard to their poultry knowledge and their judging ability, but also as leaders and professionals within their field. We expect a professional approach and conduct at the shows and in their dealings with poultry business within the poultry community.

I would expect most State associations to have their judging code of ethics - I know Queensland has. That sets out how judges should conduct their appointments honestly and with integrity. This includes avoiding conflicts of interest and procedures on the day.

One element that is not often stressed, but is at risk of becoming a problem in some arenas, is that of interactions with others and the way that judges might conduct themselves in the poultry community. In the days when communications were less frequent and the rumour mill didn't work at such lightning speed, problems like this had less impact.

I would choose to appoint a judge who is well known for discretion - who chooses his or her words carefully and is not involved in squabbles. A judge is someone who occasionally gets to speak publicly, and even in private discussions their opinions are given respect. They should ensure they deserve that respect. If a young person wants to work toward becoming a judge, they need to start thinking about that early on. Take care online whether it's on facebook or other social media sites. If you are wondering whether to say it or not because it might be unprofessional - don't say it! Treat everybody with courtesy, politeness and respect regardless of whether you think they deserve it. The way you treat others says more about you than it does about them. Fulfill your obligations honestly and in a friendly and straight-forward manner. Never discriminate and make fair, unbiased decisions based on the Standard. Remember that a club that appoints you to a judging job, does not want to hear you running down any fowls, other clubs, other poultrymen/women, or any judging decisions that have been made. While you may have your own private views and discuss these quietly and respectfully with close friends and colleagues, do not get involved in any online slagging or personal criticisms. Yes, good judges will reflect and review on trends and on the judging profession as a whole in a fair and professional manner - that is very different from engaging with facebook quarrels which don't make anybody look professional. How often do we see people running down the poultry fraternity, the organisations promoting it and the people involved in it? Don't get involved in that sort of negative interaction! Look for what's good and promote it. There's plenty to be found. Present a professional face to the world and be a judge that any club would be keen to have representing them and judging for them.

That's my tip for any young judges.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:22 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Very well said Cathy...I totally agree!