Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Novice report on the Winning Edge experience in Queanbeyan

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi all,

I promised Cathy via Facebook, so here goes :th

Now that most post-show things have been attended to, I have a moment to reflect on the Winning Edge Seminar I attended on Saturday!

A novice’s report on the Winning Edge Seminar. Verdict - not to be missed!

On Saturday 2 August, in the historical (and colder-than hell frozen over) Queanbeyan Showground Grandstand, I huddled inside my Icebreaker merino layers and gave my slightly (cold) divided attention to Rod Lucht, a kind, technologically adept MC and poultry gentleman. The gas patio heather offended the olfactory senses of some fellow attendees, so was promptly turned off and the banana bender presenters had snaffled the inadequately sized blow-fan heater (size matters apparently).

Apart from Mother Nature not turning on the heat for us, around 50 people had gathered to gain a Winning Edge.
Ross Summerell opened with good humour and an infectious enthusiasm for poultry and hoarding incubators! His scientific method for gathering and storing eggs for hatching quickly showed me my own ignorance and I was hooked from that moment on! Pictures of incubators, hatchers, brooders, discussions on biosecurity, I hadn’t even thought about disinfecting my new incubator. Oh dear!

Ross’ passion was a fabulous opener, and led into some really psychologically interesting discussion from Denis Dowdle about feeding, indulgence and nutritional responsibility for poultry owners. I hadn’t really spent much time thinking about the ‘balanced diet’ and how I upset things when I feed scraps, scratch or a nice hot weetbix mash in -6 degree temps. I’m thinking about it now! I’ve been a bad chook mummy. The Sustenhance reps gave an overview into the scientific advances in studying gut health and uptake of nutrients. I asked the obvious question – why does the bad say ‘poison’? Simple answer – it’s not for human consumption so don’t feed it to children, and regulations say it has to be labelled that way.

John Gibson gave an overview of Old English Game Fowl that was fascinating, thought provoking and gave me a new appreciation for game birds. It has been easy for me – a new fancier, focussed on eggs and sustainability – to overlook the history of the game fowl. I might be convinced to take them on in the future after John’s talk!

After a lunch thrown in by the Canberra Queanbeyan Poultry Club as a gesture of generous hospitality, Denis provided insights into the principles of judging and responsibilities of judge and exhibitors (type, type, type!).
The very scientific and knowledgeable John then provided posters of common Poultry diseases and gave me (an artist) a rapid introduction to bacteria, viruses and risk assessment! John got a great volume of questions from the floor and you could have heard a pin drop as he explained live (not as scary as it sounds), freeze dried, chilled and frozen vaccines. My head was spinning and I felt far better informed - I was starting to realise how little I knew.

There were then breeder talks on Australorps and Campines, along with morning/afternoon tea and an ‘open forum’ for questions.

I felt so excited to have learned so much, and in talking to the other attendees, it was clear that even the breeders with 30+ years’ experience had learned new things and been reminded of basics and good sense that had been under appreciated due to finer focus.

If you have the opportunity to attend a Winning Edge Seminar, I thoroughly recommend it! :thumbs:

I attended as a paying attendee and have no prior association with the team.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:35 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

That sounds excellent! Very much the experience that we have had at the earlier ones we were able to attend. I'm glad they are still being offered to the poultry community.

Thank you very much for the report. I wish I had been there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:51 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I would have loved to meet you! Such a great crowd in attendance; was lovely to meet people who had travelled to attend.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:22 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I very much enjoyed the day too. The only addition I can add was the other talk Dennis did on judging, I found it really informative as a exhibitor with no interest in judging. It also gave me even more appreciation for these people who volunteer to do this job.

Big thank you to the club especially Peter Shands for making the event happen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:33 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,

Thanks for the lovely comments on the seminar at Queanbeyan.
The boys all work so hard to present their experiences and knowledge to the poultry community and I have passed on your kind comments to them.

From what Ross, John, Denis and Rod mentioned the whole weekend was really successful and they were really impressed with the enthusiasm and organisational skills and hospitality of Canberra Queanbeyan Poultry Club's President, Peter Shands and his team of helpers.

They all had many birds to judge the next day and they thoroughly enjoyed it.

We hope to see some of you at Lismore's Winning Edge Seminar on Saturday 13th September. For those who haven't seen Dr Robert van Barnevelder talk on feeding programs, it's just something that should not be missed.
It's also a wonderful chance to catch up, chat and listen to Australasian Poultry magazine's, Megg Miller.

Cheers from Wendy :biggrin: