Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Purebreed Exhibition Poultry Breeders? or 'Showies'?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:47 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I think we are purebreed exhibition poultry breeders. That describes what we do well. As a community we spend a great deal of effort, energy, finances and time preserving valuable genetic resources and enjoying keeping them as we continue the challenge of breeding to Standard.

Showies? No. That's not how I think of what we do. It sounds shallow and doesn't encompass the core thing we really do. So if someone calls me a showie, I would respectfully decline the description. I'm a purebreed poultry breeder. Sometimes I exhibit my birds. As a community we hold the survival of a large number of domestic poultry breeds in our hands and we will pass them along to the next generation. We teach others about how to breed, care for and value the stock we have. If it wasn't for people like us, they would not exist today. Yes, we appreciate their beauty and sometimes we show them, but that's not our core business. It's something we do along the way that helps us keep our eye in, enjoy a bit of competition and mix with others with like interests. Our real business is breeding purebreed poultry.

How we present ourselves within the community and outside of it creates a belief about who we are and what we do. If we call ourselves showies, that's what we'll be.

I feel disconnected from the word 'fancy' as well, however I recognise that there is a long history of its use. Sometimes it is appropriate but it's not my preferred description. When we speak of 'the fancy' we really mean the purebreed exhibition poultry community. In that context it means more to us than it does to the outside world and it works for us. Others though who read 'fancy' or 'fancyfowl' think it means we are just interested in breeding a few pretty birds for show. Nothing could be further from the truth. Perhaps we need to think about how we describe ourselves and do so in a way that shows that we take what we do seriously and that others should too.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:10 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I think "showies" is a more used today as a derogative word to refer someone who follows all the fads buying new birds in all the time and showing them to win maximum awards depending on whats in vogue. I am more into the breeding side of things based on my own ideals, but enjoy the show atmosphere of a pavilion full of birds and exhibitors. Showcasing your birds is an important part of promoting the breeds and colours your keep.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:13 pm 
Wyandotte Warrior
Wyandotte Warrior

Valid comments, Cathy. I think your sentiments are echoed in the fairly recent name change of the Victorian State body where "fancy" was removed from the name and " stud breeders and exhibitors" added.