Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Health risks showing poultry? Do you quarantine afterwards?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:59 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:45 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I was reading an article in an old Poultry magazine that recommended quarantining any birds that attend a show, for up to 4 weeks after the show.

I would be interested to know if everyone does this or what precautions you take.....is it necessary??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:57 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Well, I think it's a pretty good idea if you can do quarantine properly (i.e. the quarantined birds at a good distance and downwind, and always tending to them last and always washing hands and keeping all equipment totally separate....all for at least a few weeks).

In reality, I can't really do this (place is too small to get the distance required) but with a chook (if I showed chooks) I'd at least give them a mite treatment before bringing them home.

Will be interesting to see what others do. It is a good question :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:39 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Definitely good practice.
Apart from bringing home nasties, shows can be very stressful especially for large breeds, birds do die from stress.
Keep your very best birds for breeding only and never take them off your property, only ever show your second best birds (they will still win prizes and will pull champion sashes).
By doing this you will give your flock some insurance, your breeders are never exposed to outside illness and never experience the stress of shows, which results in better quality progeny next year.
If you dont have room to keep breeders and show birds seperate, then reduce the breeds/varieties you keep or build more pens.
Ppl (including me) have lost some genetic lines of birds in the past simply because they had to drag their best birds from show to show snagging prizes and were left with "second best" breeders at the end of season, dont force it and dont forget there is always next years shows.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:23 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

This is something that has always stopped me from entering birds into a show.. I would be so scared of them picking something up or getting stressed and sick. More so because I don't and choose not to vaccinate my birds, so would not want to put them with others..

Are all birds entered into shows vaccinated for everything possible? or are there people out there who choose not to vaccinate and still show their birds?

This same fear also stops me from entering birds into auctions just in case they don't sell and I have to take them home again.

I guess if I have a spare pen or two miles away down the back I could use for quarantine it might be different.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:49 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I know one exhibition breeder that quarantines for 90 days post show

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Geez 90 days. You would have birds in quarantine all the time, depending how many shows you entered. and if you exhibited more than 1 breed you would need many more pens.

Hmmm, I guess exhibitors have a totally different set-up as opposed to (me) backyarder.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:30 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have been to an auction in Victoria, and was disgusted at the health of some of the birds. Sneezing, and mucus coming out of the nostrils; weepy eyes. I even called a steward over because they had allowed three roos in the one cage, and they were fighting to the extent that they were bloody.

I am not afraid to speak up, when I see injustice or bad practice. They did have the three cockerels removed, but the sneezers were not. The risk is always there, even though you take all precautions with your own, some people just think of it as a way to make money, not spend to keep their animals in good health.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:08 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We quarantine for 4 weeks. We have a three shed set up. One shed for Show birds. It is a long way from our other sheds.
A second Shed area where our ex-Show Birds or bought in stock live.
And a third shed that is our main quarantine area. The only birds that ever go to this third area are chicks from our incubation room. Some live out their lives there. Anything we select from the third shed to show or sell never goes back to that shed once they have gone away from it.
We have shoes that we only wear to that third shed. Never to the other two sheds. And we always feed the third shed first. Then we come back to the house and do the show birds etc.
The third shed is also in a place upwind from other sheds.

The Show Shed and our second shed are our 'canary down the mine' sheds. If an outbreak starts in the show shed we can destroy that shed of birds. If diseased show birds have already moved out of the show shed into the second shed we can destroy that shed of birds too.

Hopefully that will contain things and our third shed will stay safe from the outbreak if we act fast. Protecting that 3rd shed is our priority as that is where all our future birds are. Grow outs and non Shown breeders.

That's how we do it. I guess we kind of do take this quarantine thing seriously. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:08 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Please dont take this as a criticism Pullarius, but I do wonder why you go to all this trouble and more importantly risk to your valuable breeding just birds to show them?

What are the benefits, if you have good birds people will be able to see, without all the risks associated..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:08 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi guineafowl,
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean why show our poultry? Why risk the birds we have by Showing birds?

It really isn't too much trouble for us at all. For us feeding birds in three different locations and having a shoe change for one of those locations isn't any hassle. It is nice exercise. Anything to make a person move more in a day is a positive. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:01 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Shows are great, its basically likeminded people getting together and comparing the birds they breed.
For alot of people its an exciting day out, there are heaps of good ppl around the shows.
I love a day out with the chooks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Pullarius, I was meaning 'Why take the risk'? I guess the pro's outweight the con's and I understand the social side and getting together with like minded people.

Poultry seem to be particularly susceptible to things and I guess there is only so much vaccinating you can do to try and protect them..

I mean no disrespect.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:44 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I have a couple of stunning silkies bred by a gentleman who has been showing silkies for 40 years. Ive been told by silkies breeders in the show circuit that I would do quite well if I showed them. I also have some top quality pekins I think would do well.
However, all my chickens have been exposed to Mareks disease (over and over again) so how could I possibly show my silkies and potentially expose all the other birds there?
Or is Mareks so common that most of the birds would have already been exposed to it at some stage?
I would love to show them but my other concern is how stressful it would be for them and I don't like having to quarantine them away from their flock and cause more stress. Silkies stress at the drop of a hat . Its such a risk to expose them to stress which means theyre more likely to get sick because of it.
So despite the fact I would LOVE to show my stunning girls they mean to much to me to risk their health and the health of other birds present at shows.
:-(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:46 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Mine get a week or so of quarantine (yes I know that it's not really long enough to be useful, but hopefully covers the incubation of most common diseases of adult poultry) I only show once or twice a year and think that the risks to my birds are probably no greater than the risks of me going to public places or sending the kids to school. My birds never drink from the supplied cups at a show (I put in a disposable cup as a liner)
I am more cautious bringing new birds onto my property. They are penned alone for 1 week and then spend a couple of weeks with a 'sacrificial bird' before they join the rest of the flock.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:51 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

No disrespect taken, guineafowl. I welcome other people's opinions when they mean no harm. :-)

You hit the nail on the head. The pros outweigh the cons. So far we have never picked up anything from a show. We have no mites, leg mites or lice or viruses.

My husband and I enjoy preserving our rare varieties and showing them to our peers. We also enjoy doing the hobby together as a couple. Nice to do a hobby together instead of doing hobbies seperately. The social element is nice.
I couldn't breed purebred poultry and not show. I've done both in the past though. I used to breed Lavender Araucana and Silver and Gold Campines just for fun approximately 10 years ago. We went out of purbreds after a devastating fox attack. So, it is no different to me. You can keep valuable purbreds and not show, but one night a fox or dingo pack could ruin it all. Even with a Fort Knox set up someone can forget to lock the gate.

Showing exposes your birds to things, and you risk them, but we are lucky to have the space where we can quarantine. That way, as mentioned above, if something shows up, we can destroy all show birds and bought in birds and minimise the threat to our most valuable birds in that 3rd shed.

(There are viruses that won't show up on an adult bird, but the female can transfer it to the chick via the egg. Nothing we can do about that one)

Last edited by pullarius on Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.