Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Please critique "Blackie"

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:19 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

This is my 8yo son's bird. He would like to enter her into a show and I would like to make sure that she will not be too out of place.
He loves her very much and would probably be upset if someone said that she was a "bad bird".

The rooster is also his. He is very scruffy at present but I'd appreciate any informed feedback on him as well.
Thanks in advance.

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Please critique
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:12 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I don't think either would be at all out of place in a show, especially if you are talking about a local show. They have nice lacing - better than I have seen in some show pens! Both of them could be a bit curvier in the backs - that is, their backs are a bit flat. They could be a bit 'rounder' overall. With Wyandottes, you want to imagine a circle, and if you also imagine the bird seen from the side, the bird should fit within that circle. The rooster's legs could be a bit more yellow.

But none of that would stop me putting them in a show. Poultry clubs love to see younger people and kids putting their birds in, because they are the future of showing poultry. You will probably find that your son will get a lot of encouragement. He should talk to the judge after the judging is all completed to get feedback on his birds. Judges are usually more than happy to do that, especially with kids. Often there are junior categories to enter birds into, and junior awards.

Your son can do a bit of research on how to prepare his birds for the show, to have them at their best. As a minimum, clean and scrubbed legs and clean faces and combs are important.

I'd say go for it!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks cocoa. I guess we'll start researching what he needs to do with training to start with.
He can handle both easily but they aren't so keen on other people yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:43 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I don't know a great deal about Wyandottes but with my Barnies fresh green grass (not lawn cuttings), orange/yellow vegies and cracked corn all help to deepen yellow legs. (not too much - just in 'treat' quantities).
As Rach said - check out the shows with junior categories.
Playing a radio near them will help them with strange noise and voices.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:34 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for the tips Sue. I think his legs are actually about the same colour as hers but the photo is a bit overexposed. I'll try the diet tips though and see if it deepens up a bit because they aren't a really strong yellow.

Any tips on things to feed them to help them gain weight? They both seem a bit light to me for their size. So does my light Sussex girl who is in one of the pictures.

They have free access to layer pellets, they have just finished demolishing a "perfect peckers" block. They get veggie scraps from the kitchen every day or 2 (depending on how much waste we have) and we sometimes give them scrambled eggs or mince when they seem to need a protein boost (lots of feathers coming in or a pale looking broody mum etc).
They sometimes get scratch mix as a treat and they get a few hours out to free range most days.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The Lauke Show bird Breeder MP is my preferred for condition although I have found that the Lauke 17 tends to add weight but didn't breed so well on it (maybe too fat?). This season I am trying the Barnies on a 50/50 mix.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Sue, I'll look at what I can get from my feed store. We're not trying to breed at present so that's not a concern at the moment.