Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Quietest duck other than muscovy

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:19 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Was just wondering what breed of female duck people would say is the quietest? ( other than a muscovy as I know they don't make any noise)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:21 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

None. :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:26 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thought someone might say that :( I have had khaki campbells, runners, pekins, aylesburys (these were the loudest) and orps. Had to give them all up as am in suburbia and they were too loud. Not against mussies, think they are lovely but wanted to get something different

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:34 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

cackles wrote:
None. :P

About sums it up :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:07 pm 
Golden Pekin
Golden Pekin

Maybe I am just lucky but I have 10 Swedish ducks in the middle of suburbia and they are extremely quiet. The chooks would out-noise them any day of the week. Now and then the ducks do quack loudly (eg. when they think I have taken too long to let them out in the morning) but they are still not a patch on the chooks and certainly not in the league of the dog over the road that barks whenever people go by. I just don't find them noisy and I have never had any complaints from neighbours (only positive comments).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:04 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Calls are quiet. When they're asleep. :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Symbungee wrote:
Calls are quiet. When they're asleep. :rofl:

and when would that be?????? calls are the noisiest little ducks :help:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:55 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

My neighbour asked me to move my roosters to the farthest end of the property and just shift the 'quieter' ducks down his end (calls and east indies) - dumb arse :rofl:

Breeder of Exotic waterfowl, wild type Muscovy, Phoenix, Polish, Spanish bantams and Yokohama Fowls.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:48 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Up to around 10 years ago, I kept a small flock of ~12 ducks. They were mainly Blue Swedish, with a Campbell, a Welsh Harlequin, and a couple of Runners. I also had 3 chooks at the same time. Without a doubt, I agree with 70%cocoa, while the ducks did quack at times, overall the 3 chooks were far noisier. While a number of people have mentioned in the past that ducks are noisy at night, especially if there is some light getting into their pen, I never heard a peep out of mine once they went to bed. Our backyard light was very bright, but neither that, nor a full moon, ever caused them to quack.

In fact, mainly because of the noise factor, I am planning to reduce my flock of chooks right down to a few favourites, and replacing the rest with ducks. Just have a bit of (alright, a lot of :| ) rearranging of the poultry yard to do first.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:06 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

i think rouen ducks are the quietest, sure they have a loud quack but its very very rare that they decide to go on any kind of continuous duck rant, unless they want breakfast!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:32 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I have over 20+ Call Ducks and they are very quiet unless there is a predator in the yard at night or day or if they're seperated. I also have Silver Appleyards....very quiet too. My 3 chickens the Farmville Mystery Egg (weird story there) , a wild hen from the wetlands nearby and a black thing.... ( :hmmm: ) are actually the loudest of all my animals.....no wait my parrot is :rofl: . I live on an island off brisbane which is 'considered' suburbia...but I have had no issues with my zoo being too noisy.

Maybe you can just have drakes of different breeds and have mussie girls if you want eggs??

OR even better have muscovy cross girls that way you have eggs weird colours and looks BUT no noise :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:09 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

FowlMania wrote:
I have over 20+ Call Ducks and they are very quiet unless there is a predator in the yard at night or day or if they're seperated. I also have Silver Appleyards....very quiet too. My 3 chickens the Farmville Mystery Egg (weird story there) , a wild hen from the wetlands nearby and a black thing.... ( :hmmm: ) are actually the loudest of all my animals.....no wait my parrot is :rofl: . I live on an island off brisbane which is 'considered' suburbia...but I have had no issues with my zoo being too noisy.

Maybe you can just have drakes of different breeds and have mussie girls if you want eggs??

OR even better have muscovy cross girls that way you have eggs weird colours and looks BUT no noise :mrgreen:

Have thought about mussie crosses, that way I don't have to worry about them breeding either!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:05 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Ive got white mallards here that hardly make a noise.

Australian Game Bantams in Blackred and Pile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:37 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Other than muscovies - I've found my appleyards to be fairly quiet. Have some pekins, a few welsh harlequins (just drakes though); and out of the lot; the appleyards (large; not sure about the bantams) are pretty quiet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:46 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I think it's funny how muscovies wag their tails like dogs if they find food or if they're excited, and they make this little cheruping sound ...so cute :rofl: