Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - White hatched ducklings

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:49 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Well done on keeping good records. It does look like the factor for white down is an autosomal recessive going by your results so far doesn't it. Following examples may be helpful (you probably already know this @ any rate) as a guide on what may be produced (down colour-wise) in future matings when you know how past birds bred:-

Your blue/brown/white (white down hatched) drake x Bushman's white duck (normal down hatched) produced all "normal" downed ducklings; every one of these ducklings will have inherited one dose of the recessive factor for white down from the drake & nothing from the duck (assuming she had nothing to give). If you were to mate these ducklings together you could produce approx;
25% "normal" downed ducklings
50% "normal" downed ducklings with hidden recessive factor for white down (like their parents)
25% white downed ducklings

If both birds used in a mating had normal down on hatching but one of them carried hidden one dose of the recessive white down factor (doesn't matter its sex) you should produce;
100% "normal" downed ducklings; approx 50% of these could potentially inherit one dose of the recessive white down factor from the parent with it.

If one bird used in a mating had white down on hatching, & the other normal down on hatching but which carried hidden one dose of the recessive white down factor (a bird like that bred from your blue/brown/white drake x Bushman's white duck) you could produce approx;
50% "normal" downed ducklings each carrying hidden one dose of recessive factor for white down
50% white downed ducklings

If both birds used in a mating had white down on hatching you should produce;
100% white downed ducklings

Good luck with them
PS I would like to get down to Beaudesert Auction for a look :hmmm:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:49 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

More 'white hatched' muscovy ducklings at tabooba, hatched 5-7 January 2013. 15 out of 15. Unfortunately only 12 left at time of pic. Bronze mother and white drake (with fawn?..chest) Both parents white hatched 22.10.11 as per original post (Both pink beaked)
Adult colours of 22.10.11 hatched ducklings include bronze, blue, white with feint blue and fawn markings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Wont it be nice if they stayed this beautiful white colour.i have followed your adventures for a few years and it is interesting that it continues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:12 am 
Wise One
Wise One

They look like cotton balls with heads & bills; snow white aren't they :-)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:05 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

this post is MOST excellent and indeed the gene looks recessive AND only effects down colour in ducklings, MOST excellent and fascinating :)

Thank you heaps and heaps

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I wish ducks were that white for their life. They are gorgeous. How did they turn out anyway. It is three years now since looked at your photos and would love to know. Do you have any left and a photo or two?.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:55 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I had a "white hatched" gosling last year with a lavandar tinge to it. Turned out pure white. It had abit of yellow on him but the white on him was the same brilliant white as your ducklings.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:00 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Any updates Tabooba? Would be very interesting to know if the gene responsible for this is the same or similar as what I saw in my gosling & if it just affect day old down colour or does it have other affects/mutations as adults.