Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sexing Bantam Saxony Ducklings

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

A little bit off topic i know, but reading this thread got me interested.

This pic was posted by Booth some time ago, standard Saxony drakes with yellow bills, as per APS2 requirements.
I would guess by adding a drake such as this into a bloodline, bill colour could be improved? Some of the saxony drakes i've seen at shows (mostly bantam saxony) have the claret bleeding down the flanks and backs - i notice these boys have the clear cut bib as per the mallard colouring.

They're stunning birds anyway..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:02 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Very handsome.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

PS Mine definitely have green bills. They look quite different with the yellow.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:49 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Here's a photo taken this afternoon (Boxing Day)

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356515134.174742.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356515134.174742.jpg [ 121.22 KiB | Viewed 230 times ]

Mum is in the foreground facing camera and bubs are behind.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:12 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have both Standard and bantam Saxonys and the standards I have have lovely orange bills, and my bantams have the "dirtier" orange/green bill. I have not had them very long, so I am still learning a lot about this breed. My bantam drakes claret colouring bleeds a bit too far back, but I think my girls are quite nicely coloured so I hope that they will produce a nicer cleaner coloured drake :)

My flock, the 3 adult bantams in the front with their "dirty" coloured beaks and the juvenille standards in the back.

Also for interests sake, the white boy on the side was a pure yellow duckling and has blue eyes. He's feathering up pure white and is definately pure bred :) I however won't be keeping him and will be rehoming as I can only have one standard drake and i'm going for the biggest nicest coloured boy so I won't know if he will produce more whites.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:09 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Your Bantam Saxony females do have very dark bills Katiea. According to Holderread, they would have genes that allow both yellow & dark pigments into the bill (different layers resulting in the ? dark green looking bills). You would need to remove the gene for dark bill (Sd), but retain the gene for yellow skin/bill colour if you wanted yellow/orange billed Saxony bantam females. I know that the females bill colour can change through the season, but I don't know that an otherwise genetically true Saxony females bill would ever be that extensively dark without having Sd?

The white bird is likely white due to your standard birds having the recessive white gene.

Lucy C, how has the sexing of your ducklings turned out? Any closer to being really confident that they are all females?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Lol. No closer. But this is a very interesting thread. So pleased that lots of people want to discuss Saxonys.

I'm still dubious but the ones I think are female all have yellow bills so maybe I am right. The drakes definitely have green bills. When it's not so hot I'll go out and photograph them again but that won't be for about a week I'm guessing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:45 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

You should be able to tell the sex by the sound, my boys are SO quiet. The girls honk, and boys make a husky whaackwhaaack noise. The volume difference is really clear as well, especially my young standard girl, OMG she is bloody loud!

I went outside and tried to take some footage of my young girl and one of the young boys to try and show the difference in their voices.
This is my drake, I'me sorry the others are a bit loud in the background, he only quacks a couple of times. But you can hear how it's kind of raspy and quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PCfQa320ww

And this is my duck, she is LOUD. Absoloutely the loudest duck I have haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOAbIap4BZY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:47 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks. By voice they're definitely girls. There's just two that font look quite right.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:01 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I'm thinking of rehoming my Saxonys. It's too difficult with my setup to keep them with the chooks. Is there anyone who might like them? I'm in the Blue Mountains in NSW. I don't want to list them anywhere just yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:45 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have a 3 week old i hatched out ... i still cant be sure of its sex

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk