Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Mallard Colours

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mallard Colours
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi,
I breed natural, white and bibbed mallards and want to know if you guys breed these or what other colours you breed. Is anyone working on a new colour?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Mallard Colours
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:57 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I have normal and blue fawn mallard.
Double blue, ie. the equivalent of the apricot Australian Call is not standardised.

Bibbed mallards sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:01 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yeah, I got a nice little black bibbed drake from a friend at a show and bred him to one of my natural ducks. I only got two ducklings out, though one was killed by a hawk, but the other is a female. The good thing with mallards and other ducks is a natural can be used with other colours instead of one of the same colour and opposite sex. Naturals are usually better quality than other colours so they can also improve the quality of the ducklings, but also birds of the rarer colours (e.g. dusky, blue fawn) are not so readily available and usually the only quality birds are drakes, so naturals are a great way to breed other colours.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:40 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Oh ok. Interesting thought.

I have a blue fawn mallard female that won at the VWA spectacular and was champion bantam at Essendon, and her sister who was champ BF mallard at the RMPS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:28 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

That's excellent for a blue fawn! I have only been breeding waterfowl for 5 years or so and only started with a trio of natural mallards two years ago from Wayne Patterson. They did well this year, one duck winning champion waterfowl at Warwick Ag show and the other duck winning champion waterfowl at Gatton Feather Club show. The whites and the bibbeds only came this year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:49 pm 

I have natural mallards and a white mallard. I’ve always wanted to breed pied Mallards but I don’t know exactly what you need to breed, to get them.

Also, Cheeky (my original natural Mallard drake) got Champion Junior Waterfowl in a Annual Poultry Show last year, also a beautiful natural Mallard duck that I bred got first in junior waterfowl, but sadly earlier this year or late last year she was taken by a fox and so was one of my original natural females who got 2nd place in the show.

That was one of my biggest losses I’ve had, and I thankfully haven’t had any large losses since. I ended up a few months ago getting a new trio of natural mallards from Micheal Homes (hope I spelt it right), they are smaller then my original natural mallards and are very beautiful bright birds except they’re scared of me. Here’s a photo of the new trio:

Attachments:
File comment: Mallard Trio
E16E0968-E353-407D-9AEA-04422A429B4C.jpeg
E16E0968-E353-407D-9AEA-04422A429B4C.jpeg [ 899.03 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:25 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Lovely birds.

Sorry that you lost the beautiful ducks you had bred. That must’ve been an awful blow... Sounds like you are successfully rebuilding though.