Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Enclosures.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Enclosures.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:40 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

We have a dam in the bottom of the valley, it occurred to me that this would be a better place to have the majority of our ducks. However, there would be a problem with predation from hawks & foxes, so we would need to install some form of enclosure circling a section of land & water. Does anyone know of this having been done before? I would have thought so. Does anyone have any images or plans?
Thank you for your time.
Regards, Keith.

Post subject: Re: Enclosures.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:26 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

KeithH wrote:
We have a dam in the bottom of the valley, it occurred to me that this would be a better place to have the majority of our ducks. However, there would be a problem with predation from hawks & foxes, so we would need to install some form of enclosure circling a section of land & water. Does anyone know of this having been done before? I would have thought so. Does anyone have any images or plans?
Thank you for your time.
Regards, Keith.

Marrema s dog will be good for that sort of design . have you look into them?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:33 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

jose wrote:
KeithH wrote:
Thank you for your time.
Regards, Keith.

Marrema s dog will be good for that sort of design . have you look into them?

Thank you Jose, I will google it & find out what that is.
Appreciated.
Keith.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:21 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Post a photo of the area you hope to enclose.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:43 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Squeaker wrote:
Post a photo of the area you hope to enclose.

A part of this, not the whole thing. A enclosure that includes land & water.
Keith.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:09 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Keith....you've got a couple of options. You could build a secure night pen, or buy and erect a garden shed with an outdoor area. Anchor shed at each corner with star posts and use concrete pavers as a floor. I free range my ducks on both a dam and a creek, they all return to the pen in the evening to be fed and locked up.

Unless you have a small breed of duck you shouldn't have a problem with hawks and because they spend most of the time in the water or close to the waters edge you shouldn't lose any to foxes as long as they are locked in at night. I've never lost any ducks to either in 20 years. The only predator I've lost the odd duck to over the years is a sea eagle, and there is not a lot you can do about that if you want to free range your birds because they swoop down and take them off the water.

Attachment:
DSCN0012.JPG
DSCN0012.JPG [ 2.07 MiB | Viewed 493 times ]

Here's a couple of options for a secure pen.

If you want to fence off part of the dam you will need to concrete in a post either side and run a three lengths of fencing wire between them, piece of rope and stick attached to wire and then pulled across. Use chain link fencing for the underwater run, chicken wire will only last a couple of months before rusting out, you need 1200mm under water to stop the ducks diving underneath, in your case that may even reach the bottom. Aim for 1800mm out of the water, chicken wire is ok , two runs of 900mm or one run of 1800m, you can leave 300mm nice and floppy at the top, any less than this and they will fly and scramble there way over the top. They are not so hard on the in ground fences so 1200mm chain link or chicken wire can be used. Although a lot more expensive chain link is my preference, less star posts and rigidity without running supporting wires. I suggest you run 600mm heavy duty bird wire as an apron on top of the ground outside of the fencing to prevent anything digging under, weed mat pins are the cheapest for fastening it down. You will still need the secure night house unless you can do a really good job on overhead netting, foxes are as you probably know really hard to keep out

I have a temporary set up similar to the above that I use for spare drakes etc, I haven't used the chainlink in the water so have to replace it every time I use it. Pictures aren't great with the water pretty low at the moment, hope this helps.
John
Attachment:
DSCN0008 (1).JPG
DSCN0008 (1).JPG [ 2.92 MiB | Viewed 493 times ]

Dog kennel from bunnings
Attachment:
DSCN0010.JPG
DSCN0010.JPG [ 2.77 MiB | Viewed 493 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:00 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Squeaker wrote:
Keith....you've got a couple of options. You could build a secure night pen, or buy and erect a garden shed with an outdoor area. Anchor shed at each corner with star posts and use concrete pavers as a floor. I free range my ducks on both a dam and a creek, they all return to the pen in the evening to be fed and locked up.

Unless you have a small breed of duck you shouldn't have a problem with hawks and because they spend most of the time in the water or close to the waters edge you shouldn't lose any to foxes as long as they are locked in at night. I've never lost any ducks to either in 20 years. The only predator I've lost the odd duck to over the years is a sea eagle, and there is not a lot you can do about that if you want to free range your birds because they swoop down and take them off the water.

If you want to fence off part of the dam you will need to concrete in a post either side and run a three lengths of fencing wire between them, piece of rope and stick attached to wire and then pulled across. Use chain link fencing for the underwater run, chicken wire will only last a couple of months before rusting out, you need 1200mm under water to stop the ducks diving underneath, in your case that may even reach the bottom. Aim for 1800mm out of the water, chicken wire is ok , two runs of 900mm or one run of 1800m, you can leave 300mm nice and floppy at the top, any less than this and they will fly and scramble there way over the top. They are not so hard on the in ground fences so 1200mm chain link or chicken wire can be used. Although a lot more expensive chain link is my preference, less star posts and rigidity without running supporting wires. I suggest you run 600mm heavy duty bird wire as an apron on top of the ground outside of the fencing to prevent anything digging under, weed mat pins are the cheapest for fastening it down. You will still need the secure night house unless you can do a really good job on overhead netting, foxes are as you probably know really hard to keep out

I have a temporary set up similar to the above that I use for spare drakes etc, I haven't used the chainlink in the water so have to replace it every time I use it. Pictures aren't great with the water pretty low at the moment, hope this helps.
John

Thank you John, very much appreciated.
Regards, Keith.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:14 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

KeithH wrote:
Thank you for your time.
Regards, Keith.

what sort of duck breed you have KeithH ?
nice dam you got there ,they will love it for sure .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:20 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Squeaker wrote:

Attachment:
DSCN0012.JPG

John
Attachment:
DSCN0008 (1).JPG

Dog kennel from bunnings
Attachment:
DSCN0010.JPG

good set up John .
I like your idea .guess I start using my dum and get some ducks .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:46 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

jose wrote:
KeithH wrote:
Thank you for your time.
Regards, Keith.

Khaki Campbell Jose.
Keith.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:54 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

KeithH wrote:
jose wrote:
KeithH wrote:
Thank you for your time.
Regards, Keith.

Khaki Campbell Jose.
Keith.

love them .I ll start building them a place to sleep and I ll get some .
do you have a trio for sale by any chance .
Jose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:44 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

love them .I ll start building them a place to sleep and I ll get some .
do you have a trio for sale by any chance .
Jose[/quote]

No mate, these are our meat & eggs supply.
Keith.