Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Help - duckling flinging head back and can’t get up

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:04 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I rescued some eggs from one our ducks who had been sitting for almost six weeks with nothing happening. Most were non-viable when I candled but two seemed to be developing so I incubated them.
One hatched out four days ago and was doing well but yesterday I found it on it’s back, flailing around and unable to right itself.
It keeps flinging it’s head back and falling over and can’t get back up again. We took a turns sitting with it until about midnight last night, giving food and water and left it tucked in a sock and rolled up towel for support so it could sleep. I checked on it about 4.30am and gave more food and water.
We think after Googling that it may be a niacin deficiency so have been feeding peas, buckwheat flakes and dried mealworms since last night and also crushed up a multivitamin tablet and put some in the water and sprinkled on food (the best we could do as no shops open when we discovered the problem).
Any other thoughts? Today is Sunday so limited shops (particularly with Covid - most are not open at all).
We can’t leave it alone as if it wriggles out of the sock and towel it just lies flailing around.
Aside from this issue it is lively and eating and drinking well (and tweeting a lot!).
Any advice very welcome.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:38 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

It could also be vitamin A / E def. Try boiling an egg, and mashing the yolk with ground sunflower seeds. If it is the problem, the effect will be quick. If not, then you still have your other strategies. Look up wry neck. Good luck and let us know what happens.