Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Aggressive drake

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aggressive drake
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:00 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I noticed this morning that my runner drake has become really aggressive to one of the turkey hens:( . She's broody at the moment, but whenever she comes out of the house to feed, my drake chases her away from the food - not good as I literally have to turf her off the nest on the first place to feed at all.

I didn't realise how bad it had gotten until this morning when he chased her away and was nipping at her rear end. I went to get him away from her, and he turned on me and flapped into the air in front of me quacking (as if to say 'leave me to it, this is my run') :x

I'm not fussed by his behaviour towards me, but I worry about how he's treating the turkey hen. He only has one runner girl, maybe I should get him another? He may well think the turkeys are competition (even though they are rather placid) I was going to get a muscovy to brood the runner eggs, will he see her as girlfriend material?

Do any of you current or ex duck-folk have any clues to his behaviour or how to fix it??

Given that I have a large run, I'll start feeding in two locations and maybe he'll be happier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:18 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hey D&T
Funny I have noticed a similar rise in the agression with my drakes just this week. My saxony drake is very arsey - running at me when I go to feed them. His girl has 12 eggs in the nest and I can only think that he knows she is close to setting and is being more protective. My mallard has one of his girls already down and is ok with me but savage with the 'dottes that day run in his yard.
Maybe this is just a natural instinct to protect their mate on the nest?
I would think giving them some space when feeding will help. Maybe another girl will give him something else to occupy his time!
For me an agressive bantam duck is quite a funny sight - I'm not sure I'd be so happy if they where pekins or muscovies !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Dotty,

My runner girl has been laying, and funnily enough, I did try putting her eggs under the turkey he now attacks (just as a test to see if she'd accept the foreign egg as my runner girl is a twit and forgets where she layed them).

Their nest sites are close-ish too. Might try setting up another camp for the ducks alone, or putting in a barrier so they can't eyeball each other.

It is funny being confronted by an angry 'bowling-pin'. I was half-offended and half-impressed as he managed to fly quite high for a runner!