Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Automatic Ducks Bath - Cheap & Compact

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:55 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Everyone,

since I moved my ducks & chooks to a new area, they lost access to a permanent water bath. Since then, my muscovy developed an eye condition (it is healing) and one of my Khaki Campbell lost some feathers and developed a kind of dandruff.

I decided therefore to provide a no-fuss automatic bath. This is a guide for other water fowls lovers like me who do not have the space for a full-size pond with filters, pumps and such.

Please note that I am lucky enough to live in a recycled water supply area (Glenwood - using the Rouse Hills water supply). This bath is attached to that and not subject to water restrictions. You can do the same using a rainwater tank and similar.

Let start with listing the principles of all this.

1. The area has water connection (simple long garden hose will do) but not necessarily power. I wanted to develop something not requiring electricity.

2. The area is confined, not much space is available.

3. No point in breaking the bank :D

So what are we going to use? I bought all bits & pieces in Bunnings.

1. Plastic container - the one that I am using is 75cm x 40cm, 15cm deep.

2. Pope water timer LCD computer with 2 outlets. $62 - this can be replaced by cheaper timers, I didn't bother for a few bucks difference. It uses 2 x AA batteries, not provided (buy them!!).

3. Aquapro Magic Pond Sucker - this uses the water pressure to create a suction (Venturi effect) - kind of water pressure activated pump. $32. There is a description here: http://www.waterfeaturesonline.com.au/P ... ductId=617

4. Many meters of 19mm black poly irrigation pipe, $7.20 for 20 meters, for waste water. How many meters? It depends on where you plan to dump the water!! Do not go over 30 meters.

5. A garden hose to be cut into sections and fitted with female connectors.

6. two spring clamps, around $5 each - these can be replaced with screw clamps, more stable. I used the spring ones to experiment.

Assembly - well quite simply, put everything together as from photos below. The black pipe is the waste water - it goes to irrigate my veggie patch. You need to put the water intake on the higher corner, and the suction on the opposite lower.

IMPORTANT - the Aquapro Magic Pond Sucker uses pressure to work its magic. If you try to attach a sprinkler, or any form of reduction to the wastewater poly pipe, it will stop working. Also, the longer is the pipe, the more resistance it will offer - the longer you will have to run the water to drain the container.
With 25 meters of black poly for wastewater, it takes 10 minutes to empty my container.

Programming of the computer is easy. I am running it every second day, at 5:00am. I start with draining the container (10 minutes), then 3 minutes later it refills it (2 minutes).

That container is sufficient for 2 ducks together (comfortable), or 3 a bit squashy. They simply love it and they couldn't stop using it since I installed it!!

Photos:

Ducks bath:

Aquapro Magic Pond Sucker detail:

Pope water timer LCD:

Hope you enjoy it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:27 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

fcosentino...OMG do you realise how much trouble your going to get me in with Barry? ROFL . I'm off to my hardware store with that list in the morning.

The dot points I can tell him is

1. We have all the stuff to do it
2. It will keep your fruit trees regularly watered.
3. The ducks will be happy
4. Thre fruit trees will flourish
5. I will be happy
6. If i'm happy your happy...!!

Do you reckon if i'm armed with that ammo that he will do it for me??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

darrssy wrote:

Do you reckon if i'm armed with that ammo that he will do it for me??

Probably he will give up :D

I have something else also - I found automatic feeders & waterers for pets, including poultry, on eBay. These are also wonderful, I bought two. This is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DOG-CAT-POULTRY- ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:13 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Oh heck...!! He was here when I opened this up..Now he wants me to buy these..
:roll: :roll: goes to show what a few bourbons' do when i show him these emails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:20 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Oh great stuff...I have printed out that little list for the hubby...he has four ducks and is just dotty over them :lol: sweet soul that he is...we have a fish pond that we fill and upend every two days..but this design of fcosentinos is awsome...thankyou so much for sharing your design..
Hey Dars..a couple of Bourbons go a long way...been using that trick with my hubby for a long time :lol:
cheers
Looloo :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:14 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

looloo wrote:
Oh great stuff...I have printed out that little list for the hubby...he has four ducks and is just dotty over them :lol: sweet soul that he is...we have a fish pond that we fill and upend every two days..but this design of fcosentinos is awsome...thankyou so much for sharing your design..

Thanks - it is a simple starting point for a powerless system. I am thinking about going the extra length and drill holes into the box to make it more visually appealing (hoses sticking from the top aren't the best thing). It would make the design more complex due to having to waterproof them to avoid leaks.

It is also possible to design a more efficient Venturi effect suction device - I am disappointed by the fact that the Aquapro can't handle a long wastewater pipe very well. With a short one, it takes 2 minutes to empty the box, with a 25 meters one time goes up to 10 minutes.

Mmmhhh... Thinking thinking...

Post subject: Further update
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I monitored the functionality of the ducks bath, and it is good, but not perfect, and as an engineer, I love perfection :)

The thing that is not satisfying is the lack of a proper rinsing cycle to get rid of the mud/sludge at the bottom of the box.
Luckily, the Pope LCD Water Timer has multiple programs that can be setup independently (quite a cool device). Therefore, during the next few days I will experiment with the following, rain permitting:

1. Attach to the intake hose a sprayer head able to flush mud towards the Aquapro suction device for pickup;

2. Determine if such an operation is preferable to be performed with the water container full (so that the mud goes in suspension and it is consequently sucked out together with waste water), or empty (4 stages - 1. empty container 2. rinse bottom 3. empty container 4. refill)

3. Increase intake timer to wash surface floating debris out by overflow.

If you think it is a waste of time, it is not - ducks are looking at the brownish water suspiciously, they don't jump straight in unless it is crystal clear, spoiled brats :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes - it looks like that by alternating a couple of rinsing cycles it works better.

All you have to do is to turn on water intake for 1 minute at a time during the emptying cycle, to bring mud in suspension so that it can be sucked out.

So, let's say:

Valve 1 (suction) - 15 minutes
Valve 2 (refill) - 1 minute on, then 10 minutes later another minute. After the container is empty, usual 2-3 minutes to refill it.

Now it is very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:01 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

H fcosentino

Your design is great. I reckon I could do something similar with my ducks pond. I am using a baby pool, which is not as deep but has more area.

Just a question, as I understand the aquapro uses water pressure (green hose comming from the timer) to create the suction. The black hose is used to drain the pond. On the other corner you have the water intake (green hose also coming from the timer) .. but where does the third green hose shown in the third photo go (Y connector)

Thanks..

Last edited by Jonez on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:08 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Jonez wrote:
H fcosentino

Your design is great. I reckon I could do something similar with my ducks pond. I am using a baby pool, which is not as deep but has more area.

Thanks.

Jonez wrote:
Just a question, as I understand the aquapro uses water pressure (green hose comming from the timer) to create the suction. The black hose is used to drain the pond. On the other corner you have the water intake (green hose also coming from the timer) .. but where does the third green hose shown in the third photo go (Y connector)

Thnaks..

Oh that is a separate hose that I use to wash around the area - not related to suction process. By the way, since then, I dug a larger pond, and I am using an electric sewage pump (immersible) which I bought on eBay- it works great.

I now have 2 muscovies (drake & duck), 2 Khaki Campbells (my two favourite girls) and 2 ISA Brown chickens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks, I though that hose would be unrelated as you said.

By the way, I have have a little pond pump but don't want to use it because I would need to run the cable a fair bit, plus I am looking for something that doesnot use electricity.

I am using a baby pool, which is quite suficient for my 2 muscovies. I dug a hole and sat the pool on it, so that the water is flat with the ground. The land has a very good slope and so the drainage should work by gravity. I will install a drainage hose underneath (digging the trench at the moment) with a valve that I can open and close at will. I need yet to plant something that will benefit from the drainage water.

The fresh water intake comes from a rain water tank, and work wonders by gravity as the tank is higger in the slope. It fills in about 10- 15 min. I should start taking photos.

Anyway, I like your invention as it comes coincidentially handy for me. I will stick to gravity though and I must say I still will scrab the pond with a brush now and then before refilling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Jonez wrote:
Anyway, I like your invention as it comes coincidentially handy for me. I will stick to gravity though and I must say I still will scrab the pond with a brush now and then before refilling.

The Venturi effect is very cool - I discovered the valve when I searched for a water feature cleaner - and this does the job in a perfect way.

I am thinking about creating a special filtration unit which will allow recirculation of water and constant cleaning - something that does not clog or becomes a biohazard. I have a couple of ideas that I need to perfect - also to assure that the water coming out of the filtering is absolutely safe for our feathered friends.

Going down the path of pool filtration is far too expensive - I know because I do have a 9m x 4m saltwater pool and it is very expensive to maintain... BUT if I design a reverse osmosis filtration unit using some of the new nanomaterials that are currently coming on the market, I should be able to achieve the desired result without breaking the bank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:26 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi cosentino

here is the photo with the baby pool. Perhaps you can use one of this for your automatic pond. I will be easier for them to go in and out of the water. I don't know how much they cost, this one was a preloved given to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:31 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Cute - yes, I was looking at some of these, when I decided to dig a larger pond and use a pond liner sheet - it has been in use for almost 1 year now and it works perfectly.

My 3 ducks and the drake enjoy it all the times - the main issue is that once the water becomes muddy, they stop using it. Currently, I am changing the (recycled) water every second day.

The pump that I purchased is similar to this but without the floating switch:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/800W-1-1HP-Submersible-Sewage-Water-Heavy-Duty-Pump_W0QQitemZ190215927361QQihZ009QQcategoryZ105815QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

quite a robust pump.. isn't it? or it just looks that in the photo?
In this word of engineering, there are so many ways to go.. from very symply to very sofisticated systems..

I would love to go for a more sofisticated system just for the fun and satisfaction of seing it work.. (you must understand me well, if you are an engineer as well).. however I am quite determined to make it simple and cost efective...and also environmentally frienly :D as I have a point to prove to some friends of mine...they are always bitching about engineers. :shock: