Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Drakes fighting over duck

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:07 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi
Big Bird and Quackles are fighting over Two Tone. BB is our original drake and he and TT are like partners. We've tried separating them and breaking up the fights but I've let them go at it for the last couple days thinking they'll sort themselves out.
But I'm not sure how they'll do it. Will they fight until one of them eventually gets killed (they usualy stop after a min) or will one of them give up and let the other have TT? Am i able to stop them doing this?
TT isn't even responding to Quackles, she's still submissive to BB - as are the other two girls.
I'm not too worried but it is annoying. It's only started over the last week or so, since just after another duck started to lay eggs again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:07 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

The best thing for you to do is too separate one drake form the other and give them both some ducks. This will solve all the problems.

I have not heard of 2 drakes killing each other but they could do some irrepairable damage - best to keep them sepearte through the breeding season - also this is very early breeding season so it will most likely get worse with time if they are kept together.

Unfortinuately ducks are a bit silly, with roosters ifind that they will sort out the pecking order and then everybody can go about his business, but ducks will not sort out an order in the same way and will continue to tiff.

regards

Honk