Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Question regarding geese/chicken watering

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:26 am 

Perhaps I worry too much but my two geese are now in the habit of walking into the chicken yard when the birds are all out together so as to grab a quick drink from the outside waterer hanging in there. They have their own pans of water in their yard right next door, but seem to prefer the chicken's water if it's within sight. Should I be concerned about transmission of diseases?

Some of the girls and their coop:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:48 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I'm not sure about this one afsaint, you may have to wait for tribe of honk to come along. He is the geese man. :wink:
Are geese messy with water?Like ducks? If so just keep changing the chooks water after the geese have been in it would be my suggestion. I wonder if its a case of the "water is always better on the other side of the fence?' :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:18 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

The only issue is the mud issue. Geese will make yard muddy if they get the chance and this can cause chickens/chooks to get unwell - but there is no disease transfere.

My geese like to pinch layers from the hens pens if they get a chance, they know they are being naughty and runs honking for thier lives - teasning me!

Geese r great fun

regards

honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:11 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

If you can, put the chook water up high so the geese can't reach it. Maybe where the chooks can get a drink while perching.

I wouldn't be concerned about diseases, only the inconvenience of always having to give the chooks fresh water as the geese will continuously muddy it.

Jacquie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:59 am 

The waterers outside in the hens' run is supended from a top support and is one of the galvanized can type:

The geese can just get their bills in to slurp a sip. The run is overlaid with coarse stone dust which drains water extremely well and makes keeping the run clean a lot easier. We will floor the geese run similarly once the grass is dead (getting there fast...). We have to roof the pen due to red tail hawks and fishers, red foxes and raccoons...The coop is an 8x10 post and beam shed. We set it on a thick layer of stone dust atop 6 x 6 pressure treated timbers. I lined the inside with 1/2" foam board insulation (it gets -10 F here in winter sometimes) and then covered it with 3/4" plywood. Before the insulation went on, the floors and walls were covered with 1/2" galvy wire (same stuff you see wrapping the lower reaches of the fencing - to keep raccoon hands from reaching in and grabbing chicken heads...). The same wire was run up two feet on the fence and out two feet from the fence, buried 6" down.
Our "adversaries":
Red tail
*image missing*
Fisher
*image missing*
Racoon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:03 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Kirribindi Farm wrote:
inconvenience of always having to give the chooks fresh water as the geese will continuously muddy it.
Jacquie

same as ducks, we know.
BUT
I'm always telling people that ducks actually LIKE to be clean! Mine even wait til they get fresh water to wash in before they'll get in a bathe! I can see why they're drinking water gets muddy, it's the way they eat - but still - they like to be clean :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:08 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yes - ducks and geese like to be clean. Mine as Phonis will only bathe in fresh water - but will dirnk the dirty water if given the opportunity, personally i would drink then bathe, but then i am not a duck (or a goose 4 that matter :) )