Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - successful artificial incubation muscovies

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 pm 

Hello,
Can I ask if anyone has successully artificially incubated muscovy eggs? Specifically I would like to know at what temperature and humidity and if this was altered at different stages. Many sources are indicating the difficulty and suggesting against it. Unquestionably, muscovies are excellent at hatching their eggs, but I would really appreciate any comments on incubating them artificially. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:29 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

If you are able to do a search there is some good info on the forum about this subject.

I have only ever hatched 1/60 eggs from day one in the bator.

I do better when left under duck for 2 weeks and removed - nearly 100%.

I ran humidity slightly higher than hen eggs, and temp slightly lower.

I had no problem getting them to start growing, was getting them to about week 3 and losing them there.

Regards

Honk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:38 pm 

Thanks.
I think have pretty much exhausted internet searching on the subject. Am having same problem as yours of later deaths (several weeks into incubation). Most indicators suggest less temperature and increased humidity later on, but I would like some specifics, and/ or methods that have worked. Letting them sit initially is probably not an option. Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:26 am 
Wise One
Wise One

I have only ever tried to hatch Muscovies in incubators a very few times over the years, and from memory, had very poor success rates. From memory, I once set a dozen eggs and one survived to point of hatching, but died just before same. Can't remember if I candled the eggs, and what fertility was like, so may have only been one fertile egg. Never-the-less, the other attemps gave poor results also.

I do know of some breeders that, as mentioned above, start there eggs under the duck, then put them in the Incubator at about 10 days and have quite good results. So it would seem that the early days are critical re: incubating conditions if success is to be achieved.

I think another member, BB, hatched some out in his Incubator, but not too sure how he starts them.

I read once that the initial on/off setting pattern which mussies seem to use for the first few days may have something to do with it, but personally don't really know for sure. I believe it was a research article and those conducting the study tried to emulate this on/off pattern with their incubators. It may be that a number of other factors (temp, humidity etc) also contribute to poor hatchability due to the less than optimum conditions of the incubator when compared with the setty duck.

Link for following article discusses why some artificially incubated mussie eggs hatch and others don't
http://ps.fass.org/cgi/reprint/80/2/219.pdf

Regards :)

rollyard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:17 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

rollyard wrote:
I think another member, BB, hatched some out in his Incubator, but not too sure how he starts them.
rollyard

They were set under a duck to start off prior to the duck being attacked by a dog/fox from memory.

Regards

Honk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:47 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

i put 2 dozen muscovy eggs in the incubator 5 weeks ago and not one hatched and none had ducklings in them. but when i put them under the duck i get 100 per cent. last year i hatched 200 ducklings from only a couple of ducks and a drake. they wouldnt stop going clucky and they have got more eggs under them now.

hope all goes well,

chookking :wink: