Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Tips on breeding ducks..

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips on breeding ducks..
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:52 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

My Aylesbury duck laid its first egg today!
I haven't seen my drake "at it" at all.... my Saxonys splash about in their pond but I have never seen the aylesburys in the water - they tend to just stand beside the water and preen.... do they have to do it in water to be fertile? Is there any way to encourage them to get into the water?
Should I collect the egg or leave it there? If I plan to collect them should I collect for say 10 days and then put them in the incubator (so they are no older than 10 days)
Or should I leave the duck to it and risk her not hatching them..... Or she could sit on them and they not be fertile....
Any advice about how to increase my chances of getting ducklings would be appreciated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:21 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Duks can be silly, especially heavy breeds. It is occasionally nessecary to have 2 drakes to encourage them to compete for mating rights.

I know you can not locate another one, but theydo become fertile in time - it's just a matter of when they decide to ....

I have been toild that vitamin E (i think) is very good for fertility and relativly cheap.

Sorry i cant be more help.

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:24 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Jenny,

The replacement drake is probably too young yet to be interested in mating. So you'll probably find there's no fertility yet.

Aylesburies aren't known for their broodiness. I can't recall any of mine going broody last season. Mine are, however, prolific egg layers, laying an egg/day for well over a year.

I've found that once the drakes become active, I all of a sudden go from 0% fertility to 100% fertility. So its well worth the wait. Do you still have your Saxony drake? As Tim says, initially a little competition between the drakes for the ducks might inspire them to mate and then you could separate them once fertility is established.

They won't need to be on water to mate. Mine all love a splash in a shallow bath. Give them shallow tubs of water as the pond might appear too deep or threatening to them for some reason atm.

Eggs are viable for up to 10 days before you need to set them. Atm though, enjoy the fresh duck eggs.

Jacquie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:02 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Jacquie.... I wondered if age was a factor......I do have a saxony drake so will do as you suggest.....
How old were the last ducks? They are very beautiful and have settled in well.....
Fancy a duck being "afraid" of water!! The container isn't very deep but I will look for something shallower for them....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:17 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Jenny,

Probably only around 10 weeks old.. not sure exactly, but only very young.

Ensure ducks can easily climb out of any vessel you give them full of water as if they struggle, they often will get exhausted and drown. Domestic baths are a big danger due to the slippery sides.

Jacquie