Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - putting 2 strange muscovy drakes together

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:21 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

i have just got a new drake , and my question is , is there away i can keep him with my old drake? the old boy is very dominate with his 2 sons, and i want to put the new drake with them ? any idears guys ? i know the old bloke would love to fight him . has anyone had any success trying this ? i have a fence between them . once thay get use to each other would that help ? . as i want to keep all my ducks together in the whole yard without having all different yards . if you can please help that would be great

regards jase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:25 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

All mine have to fit into the pecking order throughout the year - and it usually works. Only way is to try it, if you think there is more than just the average asserting the boss then you will need to seperate. If they are both running in the yard with the females there will not be a problem though.

Currently i have 5 working drakes in together with another 5 or 6 young ones (about 1 month away from working age). With about 15 ducks. The older boy (only 2yrs) is the heade and the others all respect that. I have not seen a fight between them.

Regards

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:33 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

thanks mate .
i have the old bloke his about 15 months old and he has the 3 young sons about 5 months old all in together. the old boy chases the others around a bit . and i have a new drake i want to run with them. and i then can run them altogether . so i have 5 drakes . but i only have 5 girls . if i was to get another girl or 2 and introduce them the same time as the drake would that help. ? or better to just let him out with them without any other birds? also do you think i have enougth girls ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:37 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Just let them out together is the best way.

If you intend to keep 5 drakes you will need to increase your duck population to be fair on the drakes and ducks.

Mussies nee a bare min of 3, otherwise the poor girls get really beat up - i try to run 4 or 5 to a drake. I will cull off some more of my drakes at a later date if i dont find the females i want, so i can keep it to that ratio.

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:38 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Having a bit of a laugh here can just imagine the old boy hissing at the new addition through the wire. :lol: :lol:
You probably have a few options I have removed my dominent male for a short period of time this changes the pecking order so to speak gives the new addition a bit of power over the others.
You could put the new addition and the older drake in the same pen together see what happens I am guessing after a few tiffs they will be okay till you introduce the girls depending on how many girls you have may cause a bit of disturbance as they both will be trying to get their attention.
You probably need to decide who you are going to mate with this new drake and separate them as you need to see the progany from this new male with your females you will never know who the offspring is from if you have all your males with all your females.
Just my opinion.Sure others will have other thoughts. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:40 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

thanks mate .
of the 3 sons i an going to show them . and at the end of the year get rid of 2 and keep the best 1 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:45 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I introduced 2 drakes and 3 girls to my flock.
There was some fighting but not from the drake. The KC duck took exception to the newcomers but after a couple of tiffs got along famously.
Expect some fighting but know that they will work it out.
Just keep an eye on them though. :)

I have 6 drakes 2 of which are a different breed. 2 of my mussy boys fight now & then but except for looking a bit dirty and scruffy they get along ok. The other 4 ignore each other.
BUT every bird is different.

Last edited by Duckie on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:18 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Gday Jase,i had three drakes together and got a heap of clear eggs so i took the most domannant drake out and the white drake killed the blue ,we found him under a leanto after a day of 43 the white drake still going in to belt the dead 1 every couple if minutes ,we left the dead 1 there for an hour the white wouldnt let up to the stage he was that wornout he couldnt move.this pecking order can be a funny thing.