Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Considering geese

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Considering geese
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:56 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi all am currently considering geese for our yard but we're in residential with 1400sqm and already have 4 ducks and 3 Isa Brown and 8 bantams and 20 babies we have yet to sort
The reason I was considering it is because our yard is full of grass and currently it's too muddy to mow as half of it is swampy from all the rain
Is my place suitable for geese?
Hubby is also worried about the poo are they as big as muscovies or bigger again as they are a big bird.
Are they harder to take care of as well?
If all goes well what breed will you recommend as well
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Hello

Have a read through this sticky - viewto ... ?t=7955106

That should help with some of the questions.

Yes all geese are bigger than mussies, some breeds more than others - chinese are the smallest but the noisiest.

Their poo is less invasive than duck and does not have the same smell to it. Goose poo disapears very fast after rain.

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:14 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have read that post beforehand I guess my main worry is will they be suitable considering our block is residential (corner block bordeing empty council land) and is it big enough for them to live comfortably? I was considering pilgrims since they're supposed to be the most docile but not so sure..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

No would not even consider it .
We have 23 on 80 acres they are either at the backdoor or at the neighbors always better on other side of fence.They are noisy very messy with their droppings love chatting at three in morning we never hear the rooster.Muscovy are nothing compared to geese.They need a fair bit of land .They are not hard to care for and we rarely feed them but please dont consider them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:33 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Whoops i did not read right - i thought you had a 1400sqm pen for them :oops: I am too tired to be doing this - lol

I would highly reccomend you do not get geese in your situaton - for all of macl27 points.

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:53 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

lol I wish I had that big a pen lol
Thank you all for replying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:24 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

macl27 wrote:
No would not even consider it .
We have 23 on 80 acres

Sounds like you have far too many! :lol: 8) :lol:

If you still have a girl for my lonely boy, I'm still interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:56 pm 
I have 7 acres, of which 5 is divided off into three paddocks with a 1/2 acre dam.

I the other two acres I have my house, a small shed (200m2) and 3/4 acre of fully enclosed orchard and pens.

I currently have 15 geese and 7 more come on the 24th Feb from TOH, they go down to the dam during the day and graze the paddocks during the day (that is if I let them into the paddocks, gate shut to keep sheep (7) and cattle (3) in the paddock). During the night they sleep/rest in the enclosed yard, next to the breeding pens.

I do not have any trouble from them, I do not hear them and they make no mess. The only one I have trouble with is Chow Mien, my brown Chinese gander, he is a worrier and currently his girl (Sue Ling) is sitting. They are locked in a goose bonding pen, and he is continuously telling everybody his troubles.

But I agree, you need a bit of land, 3 geese will eat the same as one sheep, so you may have heaps of grass at the moment, but you may not soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:27 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I had 2 geese on our 2.5 acre property. They free ranged all day and had a shelter for night. When we went out during the day they seemed to take up residence on either the front or back door mat and we would come home to mountains of geese poop.Why they did,nt roam around I have no idea. They also "nibbled" on lots of my childrens toys, new bike seats and destroyed any new thing I tried to plant..... I di however love em! They had to find a new home when my little boy started to crawl though, could,nt see him coming out any door into the poo. I am sure on large acerage they would be fine but from experience they can be pesky.