Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - pekins worming

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pekins worming
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:00 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi,
I seem to spend all my time worrying about the chickens and their health issues. The ducks just seem to stay healthy and happy as long as I feed them each morning. They free range and live on the dam, they haven't got a cage. They did have one, but they prefer the dam. Every now and then they do a little invasion of someone else's pen so they can pinch any goodies and make a big mess, but then they leave. They actually sleep on the water!! Is that normal? There is six pekins and three kk crosses.

They look great, but this must be too easy. I think I should worm them, but obviously I can't put it in the water container - they don't have one. I have moxydectin here. Should I worm them individually, or not. Do you wait for signs of worms? I don't know if I would see any sign really, unless they looked sick. I can't watch the droppings.

They are pretty happy in the rain here at the moment. They like to go and find big puddles and muddy them all up and all take turns to sit in it. Much happier than the chickens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:33 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I worm my w/f once a year, even if no signs just to be safe. I use moxydectin and give it orally because like you impossible to add to drinking water.

Sleeping on the water is a pretty typical w/f thing. Geese often sleep beside the water and if they dont like something the jump in.

Honk

Post subject: ducks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:06 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks Honk, I won't worry too much about it yet then. They are certainly easy creatures to look after - and so cute. I'm hoping for some ducklings in spring.