Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Introducing new geese to the flock

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:11 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this topic........
Background info;-
We have seven geese, three older Toulouse (1 mail + 2 females) and last year I hatched 3 Toulouse females and a Brecon Buff gander from outsourced eggs. They are all in together and have paired up into two separate groups.
I am about to buy a trio of Embden geese with the idea of producing good tasty table bird crosses with the Toulouse. The 3 original geese were given to me and had been bought from a market stall and I'm not sure if they are related..................................
My questions;-
Can I separate the three original geese and put the two female Embdens with the gander and the 2 original Toulouse females with the new Embden gander without causing a lot of distress? They will all have separate pens and houses but be within close proximity due to the nature of the electric fencing we have to use to keep out the foxes.
How old must the geese be (males and females) before the eggs will hatch? I have been told that the females must be 2 years of age........

Thanks to all who respond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:51 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Hi waterfowl section is the place for this to be-but a mod will fix it up :)

Was sent tis anyway:

Quote:
on BYP and in general poultry talk someone is talking of splitting up pairs of geese, can you post and tell them that geese mate for life and it will cause extreme stress if they separate them where they can see/hear their mate…

Kai

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:33 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Geese are fertile in their first seaons, however better hatchings are achieved in their second season(round 2yrs). In the forst you may get 5 or 6 gossies, second coul get up to 20 if you aftifically incubate, depending on how many your girls lay.

If you want to split them up, you need to take them out of honk range. I have 2 properties so it is easy for me, but can be awkward. If you do not keep them a good distance apart, the toulouse gander will pine for his mates and will not bond with the embdens.

Occasionally, if the ganders are a little less loyal, they will take on new girls even if the others can be heard.

I have seen geese who have accidently been penned with the wrong gander, killed in the breeding season.

Honk