Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ducks and vegie patches

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ducks and vegie patches
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:50 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Just wanted to know if ducks are ok with vege patches. I am guessing they would eat leafy veges but has anyone grown other vegies with ducks? I am running out of backyard space and want to start a vegie patch and thought the ducks would do less damage then my dogs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:19 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Hmm, depends what is in the patch.

Just about everythiing excluding root vegies will be well and truly fair game. Mine even try to tackle the odd pumpkin.

If you were able to raise it up above the height that your ducks can reach, should save it, but they will get some things still.

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:37 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thought as much :( Thanks for that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:01 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Ducks and vegie patches.....together....in the same space.....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:46 pm 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

I can attest as to the kind of havoc that ducks and veges make together
go and have a browse through the gardening section to have a giggle at the many reports of (mine included) total annihilation of said patch by the assassins that masquerade as ducks!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Heidi

'Let us be judged not by how we fall, but by how we rise after falling'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:55 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hmm - root vegetables - don't exclude sweet potato! If a bit of the tuber gets exposed while they are demolishing the foliage it's fair game then too! They trample what they don't eat! Comfrey plants were their favourite I think! One of the things that has stood up OK is chillies - the parts of the bushes out of reach and turmeric and arrowroot are still alive though well nibbled. Safest bet are things on trellises as long as the bases of the plants have a bit of protection...Anything in pots definitely needs to be above bill reach! Good luck! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:57 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Ducks and veggie patches go together exceedlingly well... from the ducks point of view. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:35 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

when my ducks were babies we kept them on the patio in the day time. they would jump as much as 5-10cm off the ground to get to the lovely leaves on our pot plants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:52 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

cackles wrote:
One of the things that has stood up OK is chillies :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chillies?? Hahaha, I tried it twice - none of my chilli plants survived longer than one day - they loved them to death quickly. Now I grow them potted on a window sill. And if I throw a dried chillie to the ducks they eat it immediately - must be similar as chips to them: Crunchy and spicy!

The only plants they didn't touch were: bay leaves, mint and sage, rosemary and lavender - and even these have bare roots all the time but seem to be a little bit hardier then others.

Good luck :lol:

Cheers, Inge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Inge - chillies have to be well-established! The self-sown seedlings are bare stalks - they love them - so do the chooks and I imagine that they might help keep away intestinal worms? Anyway I give them to chicks and ducklings from day-olds and the bright red - mainly the small Bird's eye types - are apparently quite attractive to them. Actually they seem to like anything that has little seeds. So protect your bushes until well-established and then they will be OK :D
(clickable)

Oh yes, the Sage and most of Mint - particularly eau-de-cologne are surviving here, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:07 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

What height does that chillie on your pic have? It looks huge and very beautiful! Mine were about 20 to 25 cm high, already with lots of red and green chillies. I thought that would be big enough - apparently I was wrong :wink: The second bush was the same size as the first and I had under a net - but they ripped it off! They seem to be very, very keen of chillies!!

I'm also feeding chillies regularly to the chooks and ducks, together with lots of other herbs and vegies. Somebody told me that chooks and ducks can't taste "hot" and that this is why they don't mind eating chillies. Makes sense to me.

Cheers, Inge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:19 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Head height - uhmm 1.5-2m - gets taller if shaded a bit - some of ones at front, self-sown among shrubs are about 2m. Yes, thats correct - birds don't detect the active hot ingredient capsaicin, - so I wonder when people talk about using pepper and chillies to deter egg-eaters! One of the favourite food of my poultry - they love both foliage and fruit - especially the riper ones but will eat all they can reach! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:28 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Wow! I didn't know they can grow that big (at least if not having hungry poultry around).
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:25 pm 

We got KCs because we were informed/misinformed that they and Indian Runners tend to go for the slugs and snails and not your greenery. So when they were young we would lock them up in our vegi garden (as it is completely fenced), they were Ok for a while, just nibbling a few zuccini and cucumber leaves, but when they got a taste of the lettuce, all they left us were the stalks.

We still take them into the vegi' patch, but they are supervised and I have all my seedlings/lettuces protected with wire. As they love to help you when you are weeding and turning over the soil, filling their crops with wiggling worms and slugs. We just have to walk into the garden and call wormies and they come running. :roll:

Deb