Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Muscovys fighting.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muscovys fighting.
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:24 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I hope every one is well down under.I have one male and three female muscovys.I want to get one more male and two more females.Will the males fight bad?

Post subject: Re: Muscovys fighting.
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:47 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Hi Ruben, where are you from??

Muscovy males will fight, particularly when they haven't been running together and are strangers. I have never left birds together long enough to find out what damage may occur, but would guess the less dominant bird will cop a fair bit of harrassment and hounding long after the fight is over.

If you have plenty of space, they can probably keep away from each other to some degree, but Muscovies a so pugnacious they just seem to keep coming back for more.

Seperating the groups in different pens would probably be the ideal. You know the girls can be almost as badas the boys when unfamiliar birds are brought in, and even when familiar, will often quarrell amongst themselves, especially around feed time.

If you do have no choice but to put the groups together, would be a very good idea to hang around and observe for a period just to be on the safe side.

Regards :)

rollyard

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:58 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

At the moment i keep 23 muscovys all in the one pen, theres 4 drakes and 19 females they how ever have 20 acres to roam over during the day, (seems they all sit outside the back door and wait for my return lol) i only last night introduced two new females to the group which i did just on dark when they got there evening feed.

The old group didnt really pay much attention little bit of chasing by one of the old girls but after 15 - 20 mins things settled down and there all doing fine today.

As for drakes the last time i introduced a new boy a few weeks ago he annoyed the other drakes (Hes younger than them) and after about half an hour of squabling they came right, How ever he did rip a few fethers out of the other drakes so not a good idea if you plan on showing the many time soon, Other wise ive had great sucess with introducing new ducks or drakes to the flock,

Anyway once you have muscovys you cant stop at just a few :rofl:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:20 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

In my opinion, yes they will fight. Won't kill each other, but definitely ruin feathers. I have two young ones, full brothers, together since hatching....and they fight like a pair of teenagers :roll: and I'm not wondering how the hell I'm meant to ge them ready for a Royal Show in September...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ruben, Don't add a second drake to the pen. The dominant drake will hunt the submissive drake from food and water - resulting in slow starvation.
In addition the dominant drake will not allow the submissive drake to mate with the ducks. Why bring in a new drake if one won't be able to breed. My golden rule is never to use more than one drake in a breeding pen.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:42 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Is this a golden rule for other ducks as well?? I ask because one of the 'sexed' Pekin ducklings I got last year that was meant ot be a she turned out to be a he and so I have two pekin drakes and one duck. I've got two white mussie ducks and have found a white mussie drake to run with them. The two pekin drakes don't fight at all and both mate (constantly) with the pekin duck and chase the two mussie ducks to mate with them as well... am hoping the mussie drake will sort out the other two boys when they are free ranging so the other boys leave them alone.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:57 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I don't know a lot about ducks, but I think your poor girl will be run ragged by two drakes. I think you need more ducks or get rid of a drake.

NellyG

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:26 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

That's the plan with the mussies... to hatch more pekin eggs (because all my attempts at hatching duck eggs in a bator last season failed)... then I liked the mussies so much I decided to get a mussie drake too... never pictured myself as a mussie owner... always thought they were butt ugly... then I saw the tail wiggle... am a tail guy ;). The pekin duck has managed to keep the boys in line for the past year... it wasn't until the mussie ducks were added that the hormones started racing... made worse by separating the two mussie ducks away from the pekins over the last week. The only time they will be together is when they free range so I am hoping the mussie will eventually be bigger than the pekins (though they are huge) and will keep his girls safe from the pekin gang based on the comments made above.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:28 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The reason I have to get the male is because the lady that owns the females wont part with them unless I take the male as well.So I have no choice.They are in a pen that has two acres for them to be away from each other if they choose.So we will see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:27 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Well I have four mature mussie drakes running together, and they all get on fine, I would have to say my ducks fight more than the drakes. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:09 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ok I put the old male in a cage for a few days and let the new one run around to get a chance to feed etc.After a few days I let the old one out again to find the most horifying show of agression I have ever seen.They did not even run when I seperated them and put the new one in a cage.Then I built a nice big pen with shelter etc for the new drake and one female I picked for him.Now the old drake will not leave the side of the fence all day taunting the other male.They are loose on a fenced in area of two acres,the old drake has atleast four ducks and the pen I built is big.Will they eventually stop or should I part with one of the drakes?Also How many ducks can one drake be wtih before it messes up fertility?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 am 
Wise One
Wise One

I think what may have happened is that the new drake has had just enough time with the ducks to develop some confidence and a dominant ego, so now instead of confusion in a new environment reducing his desire to fight as when you first put them together, he is now more confident and protective of "his" girls, and yes, prepared to fight.

Like I said, Muscovy drakes can be extremely pugnacious, and if penned within sight of each other, will wear a pad from walking up and down the fence to get at each other. When more familiar they may not continue this every hour of the day, but they will continue it periodically (in my experience).

It is probably up to the individual as to whether they keep two or more drakes. I have drakes penned side by side. Mostly they will just hiss at each other through the wire, but at times they will pace, and if they could get at each other, little doubt they would fight, even after being penned side by side for a very long time. As long as they can't get at each other, or get their heads through the dividing wire partition and risk injury, and you can put up with their pugnacious behaviour, they should be fine (in my experience).

Some people run sheets of roofing iron between pens so the males can't see each other, thus reducing the pacing and minimising aggressive behaviour. And then again, some people run drakes (Muscovies) together in the same yards without apparent problems.

Edited to add, the number of ducks you run with one drake may be dependent to some degree on the strain/size of the birds (& other factors). I run one drake with one duck, only until the duck starts to set, and I never have any issues with damaged feather, wings etc. Some run one drake with two ducks to minimise harrassment of ducks and fighting, maximise fertility, and effectivily utilise resources. Generally I think it is said one drake to four or five ducks in flock situations for good fertility, but I don't know really because I have never flock bred my birds. Muscovy drakes are both promiscuous and active breeders.

Regards :)

rollyard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

my two boys fought when i intially put the new one in but it has settled down i actually get my girls fighting more then the boys in the breeding season