Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Which geese for "quiet" backyard "watchdog?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:13 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Wondering if anyone knows which geese and how many are for me on my 720m suburban block, as an aid to security without hopefully annoying my neighbours and incurring the wrath of council by laws.

I have been keeping a silkie rooster who spends his nights indoors for a year now no problems, my neighbours are great.

Also finally if someone in Perth can show me their geese or lend them or help me aquire some please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:54 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Im pretty sure that geese need a lot of space and i dont think 720m is enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:27 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Sounds like a small block to me too.
Why do you need the geese?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:37 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend geese unless you have at least 5 acres. :(

Whilst they don't continually make noise, when they decide to start "talking" to each other it is very loud and projects very far.

On a quiet night you can hear mine well over 500 metres away! :shock:

They can and will talk at any time of the day and night. At night it might only be for a minute or two but it would be more than enough to wake you and your neighbours. Mine are penned 80m from the house and I can hear them clearly. Luckily I'm a heavy sleeper! :lol:

Unfortunately the amount of noise they make is probably more dependent on the individual goose in question rather than the breed itself, so don't be conned by someone claiming their geese are a "quiet breed".

Sorry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:52 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Area much too small you would have visits by council too be sure.
As well as all points raised by Schnapper, not for you they are also taken by foxs dogs etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:49 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Agree with schnapper except for the 5 acers bit.

It depends where you are. Mine graze 3 acres, sourounded by farms and no one cares (leased property). I have a small flock 4 or 5 during the breeding season on my land .6 of an acre, also sourounded by farms, but a few smaller blocks like ours very close (50m away). They like the sound of the farm yard and do not care.

as far as keeping them in suburbia though, i doubt it will work, it only takes one person to complain and they have to go. You would need to have roughly 50 people on 'your side' compared to be needing about 5.

Having said this i do have customers who keep their geese in the suburbs, but i assume they bring them inside durin the night to prevent the honking being herd. (not the ideal situation).

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:03 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Ev, have you checked with your council to check whether geese are allowed? Down here geese are NOT allowed on any residential block - it has to be zoned rural or special rural. I realise yours is probably different, but it would be worth checking before you go to the trouble of getting some....

NellyG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:43 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Good Afternoon,

I am looking to buy pure Bred Toulouse Geese. I thought I’d finally found a breeder in NSW, & organised to buy a dozen eggs. I asked for photos of the parents, and just received a reply saying something about the geese being pure white... I’ve already transferred the money into the fellows account. Oh no! This guy’s been selling fertile eggs as ‘Pure Bred Toulouse’ when they aren’t Toulouse Eggs at all...

My daughter and I are very disappointed, and are back searching high and low for Toulouse geese.

We currently have Indian Game, Gold laced Wyandottes, and White Plymouth Rocks and are looking to add Toulouse Geese to our menagerie.
All of our animals are well treated, and free-range within a large orchard.

Fertile Eggs would be best as I live in Bendigo Victoria. I am happy to pay for the eggs and postage. If there are any geese that are suitable, I would like to show them. Please email me if you can help out :-) Thanks. Robyn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:58 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I must also agree that a suburban back yard is too small for Geese- Although as watchdogs- mine did prove themselves.

I have over the last 7 years purchased some sickly looking lice ridden goslings from a local market- taken them home and given them a lot of TLC. I usually had single goslings- but one year had three. I kept the three of them for about 5 months in in this time they did manage to stop a break in attempt on my home in the middle of the night.

I woke to find some very angry geese and the whole window - frame and all pulled out of my kitchen wall.

However they managed to eat my backyard bare over the summer_ which did save me the mowing-But i have always rehomed my geese before the following winter due to lack of food.
Raising some young geese in the back yard for a few months was ok, only as I have fantastic neighbours- And the intention always was to find a farm for them so they could live out their days on a farm with ample land for them to wander. Geese should not be cooped up in a back yard they do need space.