Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Geese - creating a new pairing?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:40 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

After a very successful Euroa Auction today I finally have a goose for my long time bachelor gander Ronnie!

I have a medium sized yard I lock him in at night (10m x 8m) so when I got home I put her in there first. She seemed to make herself at home almost immediately which was a surprise as she was one half of a pair that I convinced Auctioneer to seperate. I was expecting her to be fretful and missing her partner as geese "marry" for life.
Feeling confident I put Ronnie in with her and she seems very happy to make his aquaintance. They are already "attached at the hip" after only a few hours.

I normally free range Ronnie and my other pair (that sleep in a different yard as they were not too friendly to Ronnie whilst they had their goslings with them).

I am thinking I will keep the two newlyweds in the yard for a day or three to let them bond fully and for her to become used to her new home.

Will they bond that quickly?
The other pair seem very curious about the new addition. Should I keep them away from the yard for the time being?
Is she just being friendly or is she actually more serious?

Thanks for any advice you might have to make this a happy union! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:24 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

geese fall in love. but lonely geese will make friends with each other. She still may miss her first love so watch her. They can fret to death.

Now if she and her ex had never had babies you may be in luck. Their bond really sticks after having babies together.

If that hasnt happened.... wait and see. breeding season will tell you. If she rejects his advances then you may never get goslings.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:27 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Trim one side of the goose's wings (unless you've already done that) to keep her grounded when you let them out. To rebond a goose/gander to a new partner, it needs to be out of "honk range" of its old partner.

I find, aslong as they ARE a pair and not 2 ganders, that geese bond within a day or two. If there's continual squabbles, check the sexes.

You'll probably find your goose is quite noisey calling for her lost partner. They do quieten down eventually......

Jacquie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:37 pm 
I bonded my geese for the first breeding season, starting from March, they normally bonded within a week or so, but do not get let out until a month has past..

When they do get let out together, they join the flock to wash in the dam, but if they come back to their bonding pen, then no worries.

If they do not, it maybe time to sell them or one of them.