Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Aggressive drake - help!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Aggressive drake - help!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:28 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm having an issue with my call drake and I'm hoping someone might have a solution for me besides roast duck dinner (which is looking more likely by the day).

I have a pair of bantam saxonies and a pair of call ducks, which free range in my yard with the chickens during the day. Their night pen is basically just one bay of our (dirt-floor) carport that's been fenced off and divided in two - fine for night confinement, but not a great permanent pen. The call boy is around 2 years I think, but hasn't bred yet, and the saxony boy is 4 - 5 months and still coming into his colours.

For the last couple of weeks the call drake has been getting more and more aggressive towards the saxony, chasing him off from the females, food, and water. He started off just warning him away - and got no resistance at all, the saxony isn't fighting back - but now if he can catch him, he'll rip out chunks of feathers and look like he's going for the kill.

I wouldn't mind so much if he was just defending the area immediately around the girls, but he seems to be going out of his way to cause the other boy grief. He's even leaving his girls (the call and the stolen saxony, who he seems to think is his) at one end of the yard to hunt down the saxony boy who's minding his own business at the other end. Since I started stepping between them to prevent violence the call boy is displaying aggression towards me, and though he hasn't tried to bite me yet I'm sure it's just a matter of time, and I'm concerned that he might have a go at one of my toddlers if they get in his way. The saxony boy has started coming to me for protection. The only way we've found to stop it has been to separate the call drake and his girl into the night pen to give the other boy some peace, but we can't leave them in there all the time, and when he gets out he's worse than when he went in.

Is there something we can do to decrease his aggression? Is it likely to be an individual ducky personality thing, or is it breed-related? Penning them permanently apart isn't really an option for us at this point (new pens are a couple of months away), and I don't want an injured saxony drake or hurt children. What can I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:38 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

could you let them out on alternate days?? just until the new pens get built... i had turkeys in one shed and chooks in the other and they just free ranged every second day... will help during breeding times as well...

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:25 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Kiddos suggustion is very good and the only one that will work for you unless you can seperate them.

The drakes, no matter how far apart will go out of their way to defend their territior, their territory extends to as far as the can be bothered walking. Some are more aggressive than others.

It may help if you increased the female population, i like no less than 3 per drake to keep them happy. If you are wishing to keep them pure, they will need to be split up in the breeding season.

Regards

Honk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks guys, I'll look at trying to alternate roaming days for them. I don't know how practical that is given that the second compartment in the enclosure is actually inside the larger area (it was built as a temporary home for my chickens until they got old enough to let out with the ducks), which means that at changeover time they all have to be out at the same time then I have to try to separate out the right ones to go back inside. I thought of trying to get more girls, but even if I was able to find single girls locally - which is unlikely - I'm already almost at maximum numbers for what the council will allow. And I know they'll have to be separated for breeding, I just didn't think I'd run into these sort of problems so far ahead of breeding season, before I'm anywhere near ready for them.

I'm just about at the point of just selling the call pair and keeping the saxonies. Anyone in NQ want some calls? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:24 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

elfael wrote:
I'm just about at the point of just selling the call pair and keeping the saxonies.

Sometimes it is easier to get rid of the troublesome birds.
If it means less stress and they are easier to care for then it might be an option.
You could then just concentrate on the Saxonies.
I am biased though.
I LOVE Bantam Saxonies :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Lucy C, I totally agree - the bantam saxonies are lovely, and the breed I originally set out to get; I really only have the calls because the breeder persuaded me to take them on the basis that I was paying for that much freight anyway, I might as well make up the weight :roll: Not that I don't like the calls, up until now I've been very happy with them, I'm just finding the constant aggro hard to live with.

I had made up my mind to sell the calls, but after having them locked up for the day while I was out I came home to find an egg in the pen, and when I searched the gardens I found another 3 amongst the chrysanthemums. I guess that explains the escalation of aggression against the other boy :? In any case, I guess they're here to stay, for the moment at least. I'll just have to delay my built-in wardrobe in favour of a new pen. :wink: