Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Is my duck ok?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is my duck ok?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:21 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Over the last couple of days I have noticed that the keel of one of my ducks has gotton larger and sticks out a lot however either side of it is very sucken in, not rounded like my other ducks. She has not started laying yet but is due to soon. Is this normal or should I be worried?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:08 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I don't know if this helps but the first pic was of my duck about a week ago and the second is of her now. I don't know if it is obvious but she seems to have lost lots of weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:30 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

maybe pick her up and see if you can feel the breast bone really easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:55 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Yes it is sticky out quite a bit. What causes a duck to lose weight so suddenly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:07 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Hi stutzygirl,

I know nothing about ducks, but losing a lot of wieght is not good news. It could be as simple as having a really heavy load of worms (do you worm them regularly?) or be as bad as cancer. With no more symptoms to go on it is impossible to say, but if it was mine I'd start by isolating it and worming the whole flock (unless you are sure they have been done recently). People who know about ducks are going to need a whole lot more information to have any chance of making a diagnosis. What are they fed? How old? How are the others? What are the droppings like? does the duck seem normal and perky, or withdrawn and listless? Do they have access to any poisons or green water? And heaps more questions! So write down everything you can think of about this duck and the rest of the flock, and hopefully someone will be able to help.

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:45 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

NellyG wrote:
Hi stutzygirl,

I know nothing about ducks, but losing a lot of wieght is not good news. It could be as simple as having a really heavy load of worms (do you worm them regularly?) or be as bad as cancer. With no more symptoms to go on it is impossible to say, but if it was mine I'd start by isolating it and worming the whole flock (unless you are sure they have been done recently). People who know about ducks are going to need a whole lot more information to have any chance of making a diagnosis. What are they fed? How old? How are the others? What are the droppings like? does the duck seem normal and perky, or withdrawn and listless? Do they have access to any poisons or green water? And heaps more questions! So write down everything you can think of about this duck and the rest of the flock, and hopefully someone will be able to help.

NellyG

I will try worming her this weekend but my other ducks are fine and all droppings look normal. She is bright and perky and eating fine (she is fed layers mash, duck mash and fresh salad). I am just wondering if maybe she is egg bound as she is due to start laying soon. Was watching her today and noticed that the bottom of her keel droops and swings from side to side as she walks.